Smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
n/a
The best fuel that i have found for my smoker is a mixture of pine needles and wood chippings,the pine needles can be packed as tightly as possible into your smoker and air will still pass through with ease and the wood chippings once going will last for a good hr or so..

My choice of fuel today is....

..pine cones. I tried them today for the first time. Started with a little paper and wood, with just a couple of pine cones on top. Worked a treat. Plenty of smoke, smelt pleasant, and kept going quite nicely for 20 minutes until I put it out.:cool:

Not for me guys. Too much resin.

Try VERY rotten wood, but it has to be dry to work.

Lights off a scrap of newspaper and burns until I put it out.

PH

yes,really rotten dry wood, definitely works the best.

Wood shavings. A medium size bale from the local pet supply shop has lasted me most of last year and this year so far for £3-4

PH

I was trying with some hazel, but it burned REALLY quickly. Perhaps I'll take a wander through th woods later to see if I can find a suitable bit of tree. Do you put it out by blocking the spout, or something else PH?

:iagree:
Although I have seen wood shavings used (the sort sold in stable bedding bales) it lights like a dream and smokes well for ages.

OK, so I wasn't a boy scout, and I'm really embarassed to ask the question, but I thought I'd tried this with little success. Is it literally light some paper, and drop half a smoker full of shavings on, or is there some better way of getting it going? :confused:(We have loads of shavings from chicken bedding:sifone:

PH

Yes: except no paper. Blowtorch only with smoker 1/4 full. When alight, just pack it full.

Agree : MUST be dry.. I cut and leave in sun. to dry.

Old birch is ideal...rots easily.

Pine = lots of tar. Bad for human lungs so what it does to bees? :biggrinjester:

The best fuel that i have found for my smoker is a mixture of pine needles and wood chippings,the pine needles can be packed as tightly as possible into your smoker and air will still pass through with ease and the wood chippings once going will last for a good hr or so..
Dried, shredded Miscanthus grass,it gives a nice cool smoke and is very slow burning

.. I cut and leave in sun. to dry.

I think the rotten wood PH is alluding to does not need cutting - you just break a piece off while avoiding it crumbling. If that is what he meant, I concur.

RAB

I agreew ith PH. A very experienced beek at our club (North Shrops) told me to use 'waller' which is old crumbly wood.

i have used it ever since with success. Also it is free if you keep your eyes open!

Mark

Has anyone here tried using old (cotton) t-shirts - cut into strips & rolled up?

I've got a couple that aren't even good enough to give to charity at this stage...!

Has anyone here tried using old (cotton) t-shirts - cut into strips & rolled up?

I've got a couple that aren't even good enough to give to charity at this stage...!

Not tried, but cotton waste has been recommended at least to establish the fire. Likely burns faster than hessian.

I'd make certain they were 100% cotton though. Poly-cotton wouldn't be so good ...

I currently use dried out used tea bags. Certainly easier to find and smoke well when they get going.

I currently use dried out used tea bags. Certainly easier to find and smoke well when they get going.

Never thought of that - I'll give it a try!

I usually use dried grass clippings, but this summer it's barely been dry for long enough to mow the lawn, let alone dry the clippings as well. Plus they always seem to burn too quickly - I had to re-fill twice during one recent (thorough) inspection of all four hives.

I was told by various gnarly old beekeepers to put some green grass/dandelion leaves etc on the top of your chosen fuel once lit, as it cools the smoke as it comes out.

Old wives tale or do other also do this?

I was told by various gnarly old beekeepers to put some green grass/dandelion leaves etc on the top of your chosen fuel once lit, as it cools the smoke as it comes out.

I've mixed in some green cuttings with dried to make it burn more slowly, anyway.

I dont get time to go collecting stuff so pick up big bags of wood chippings from the big T , £3 odd each

been told this too;

also give yourself a puff on the hand to feel how hot it can be and imagine that coming at you through the living room ceiling suddenly :eek:

Latest posts

Back