Small spuds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Err.. we have around 20 cats.. have no significant problem with mice.. Peas we plant in February, not treating for now. Just waiting for harvest.. Will see in future since started new pests emerging in our area..

We put mouse traps in the tunnel. It’s the only place I let Stan use them. Oh and the loft.

I tried everything (I thought) including troughs resting on the crop bars in the tunnel and still the mice/voles ate the lot

I cannot sow peas or broad beans in my allotment because mice and maybe voles eat the lot. Recently I reported this to Gardening Which and they advised dipping the seeds in seaweed extract before sowing. I'll try that in spring.

My present practice is to sow in square plastic pots in the greenhouse and plant out when well germinated. I did this with Aquadulce Claudia broad beans this October and planted out six weeks later. One night a couple of weeks later half had been nipped off and the remaining seed excavated and eaten!

Since then I've placed two peanut-buttered mousetraps under the netted row and checked and replenished daily. Eight mice caught so far and maybe more destroyed as the mini-blocks of dicoumarin rodent poison have been consumed.

Another way to deter mice/voles/birds from attacking your peas/beans is to soak them in paraffin over night. Worked for me, learned this from a gardener that grew tomatoe plants to sell. stopped doing it when paraffin became expensive..

Latest posts

Back