small cell foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
While sadly missing this forum when it went down I did some reading else where and came across reference to small cell foundation in relation to potentially reducing varroa mite infestation in hives. While understanding the principle I could not find out whether you can actually buy smaller cell foundation or do you have to leave the bees to build the comb from scratch as in top bar hives? Is anyone else here going down this route and if so can they explain to a beginner with a national and wbc hive how they are going about it.

Thanks Russ

Hi Russ, I'm a beginner too, but have seen small cell foundation in the Thornes catalogue. I think it was National sized sheets that they sold. Hope this helps!

thorne only make a limited number of sheets compared to there 5.4mm cell size and they dont do it in every sheet size either i use 12 x 14 frames and i have to use standard sheets so they are shorter than wanted but we only use them in the brood box not the suppers

Latest posts

Back