Slow worms mating?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Am I right if this is 2 slow worms mating as I have never seen it so not sure.

Attachments

• slow worms.jpg
    slow worms.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 54
Definitely two slow worms. Seeing this would of certainly made my day.
Great picture.
My brother used to live in Hastings and when I visited him we would always look for slow worms and adders.

Last edited:
I found two doing exactly that last week. They were doing it in the road (I think a Beatles song said something similar) and were rather vulnerable to traffic, but picking them up destroyed the mood and they went their separate ways (not surprising really but at least they lived for another go later).

well done Doug, most people don't know what a slow worm looks like yet alone captured it in a photo.

I very rarely see slow worms but it must have been a good winter for them as I've got at least three down on my allotment ... they love the compost bins ... They are really pink like the one in the photo and at presnt they are all about 5" long ... Just lovely creatures and getting so rare these days. As a kid in Yorkshire there were always loads of them about. Great photo .. I've got one on my phone of one of the ones I saw.

Why slow as a name though, they are bloody quick I find!

A few years back I was digging out a compost heap and accidentally cut the tail of a slow worm off. I was gutted for days but saw it a week later alive and well with it's tail regrowing

Latest posts

Back