Slow release cage.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
After losing queens last year for the first time using the travel cage as the intro unit I have bought a couple of the push in cages.

Never having used these before I understand that the cage should be placed over sealed brood.

My question is should the queen be placed in the travel cage inside the push in or let out first?

PH

She's released under the cage, that way her pheromones are picked up by the newly emerged workers and spread, they will tend to her and critically she can then lay in the vacated cells, a laying queen is far more attractive to them than a non laying mated queen :)

Ironically, after singing the praises of this method having used it with 100% success I lost one recently! they were becoming aggressive after re queening themselves so I thought I'd nip it in the bud, she had been in the cage for six days, had laid up all available cells and they showed no aggression to her when released, when I checked in on them Sunday she was gone and they'd drawn several cells from her eggs/young larvae!

oh well, I guess it happens but I'd still highly recommend it as a safer method.

Last edited:
So I am relying on her attendants to do the releasing?

PH

Nope, you take her out of the travel cage and place her and (depending on personal preference) her attendants under the cage so she has that area to move around, after several days (I leave a week simply for convenience) you check to see if she's still in there and what the bees reaction to her is like, any gripping the cage tightly and biting at it and she's not accepted, if they appear happy with her then you can release her (some cages have a fondant release built in) I've found on several occasions that they have burrowed under the cage through the comb and she's already out and laying.

Ideally you want the cage on emerging brood and on some occasions the bees will eat under the wire and release her themselves. So if you go back into release her it’s gently done. Some press in cages also have a tunnel for a candy plug if you want to leave it for the bees

If you've purchased the plastic ones with the studs at each corner 1) be careful they don't fall off and 2) the bees can burrow quickly as the edge doesn't dig in very far.
Personally, I made up my own using varroa mesh with a bit of silver foil in the corner as a refuge. Work much better IMHO.

After losing queens last year for the first time using the travel cage as the intro unit I have bought a couple of the push in cages.

Never having used these before I understand that the cage should be placed over sealed brood.

PH

I have out the push cage over empty cells. So the queen can lay under cage.

Never taught put onto capped brood.

Often bees relese the queen, but more often they do not.

Ideally you want the cage on emerging brood and on some occasions the bees will eat under the wire and release her themselves. So if you go back into release her it’s gently done. Some press in cages also have a tunnel for a candy plug if you want to leave it for the bees

Actually the cage is very simple, but seemengly it can be fine art with all nyances.

I have out the push cage over empty cells. So the queen can lay under cage.

Never taught put onto capped brood.

Often bees relese the queen, but more often they do not.

:iagree:

Used to cage over emerging brood but adds a level of unnecessary complication & time

Thankyou for your question - pushcage use does not appear to
get much of an airing in UK forums. It is huge here in our
local, primarily down to managing numbers in a nonmigratory
subtropical environ.
Nope.
You want that area around 10 or 2 Oclock on the frame, where some capped
may be present with the top of the cage over stores and the bottom over
empty comb.
My question is should the queen be placed in the travel cage inside the push in or let out first?
PH
Let her run free, attendants aren't really necessary where the mesh size
allows feeding but you'll find it is pretty much near impossible not to have
some bees in with her. Our own design actually uses a gate which when open
allows bees to come and go.
Whether on plastic or wax foundation make sure the legs of the cage go
right through to the other side of the frame and fold over the comb.
With wax foundation supply a mesh backing plate on that opposite side,
held in place by the legs.
Also make sure there is at least 17mm between the comb face and the
surface of the cage, denying masses of bees access to her. There are
some poor designs of cages out there which in turn generate poor outcomes.

We hold queens "in circuit/holding pattern" for up to 14days, no problem.

Bill

Be careful getting the queen from the travel cage to the push in. Those few moments are when she sees the sun and goes for it.

Be careful getting the queen from the travel cage to the push in. Those few moments are when she sees the sun and goes for it.

So true. I used push ins for the first time this year. As I can park fairly close to the hives I took the precaution of shaking all the bees off the comb then retiring to the car to transfer the queens. Both times the queens got away from me (partly because I'm not used to handling queens so was worried about being clumsy and damaging them) and I had to chase them across the windscreen to catch them again.

I use a spray bottle and dampen them, they just walk across the comb and the cage gets set down on top.

Yes one took flight and I thought well well there she goes but I stayed still and sure enough she returned and landed on my arm.

I have to say I am a bit disapointeed with the design of the cages as someone mentioned there is zero ability to dig in around the edges. I don't have any thin enough steel mesh to make one at the moment.

What type of mesh is needed and where to source it if you have made some good ones?

PH

Steel mesh is too rigid to work. I use aluminium mesh. I have got a lot of material from flea market. There are many home things where proper mesh have used. Mesh paper bins are good.

Latest posts

Back