Slow-Laying Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I've a colony which has a young queen (been laying for about two months). The brood pattern is quite spotty and quite light (only a smallish patch of brood in the middle of only 5-6 frames). Compared to the colony next door (which has a queen dating from May and has 6 of 7 frames of brood more or less covering the frames) she seems to be laying and building-up slowly.

Is this just because she's young and will get into her stride later? If not, I'm assuming that it's too late in the season to do anything about her.

Would this colony have best chance of making it through the winter if I a) left them where they are; or 2) re-located them into a poly nuc to overwinter?

One a separate but potentially related note, this time last year there were still quite a few drones about. In my inspection yesterday I didn't see a single one. Is that unusual?

I've a colony which has a young queen (been laying for about two months). The brood pattern is quite spotty and quite light (only a smallish patch of brood in the middle of only 5-6 frames). Compared to the colony next door (which has a queen dating from May and has 6 of 7 frames of brood more or less covering the frames) she seems to be laying and building-up slowly.

Is this just because she's young and will get into her stride later? If not, I'm assuming that it's too late in the season to do anything about her.

Would this colony have best chance of making it through the winter if I a) left them where they are; or 2) re-located them into a poly nuc to overwinter?

One a separate but potentially related note, this time last year there were still quite a few drones about. In my inspection yesterday I didn't see a single one. Is that unusual?
It could also be to do with the numbers of bees in the colony...to support brood etc?

My queens have been prolific up until 2 weeks ago and have reduced laying considerably now. If you’ve got a thriving colony next door perhaps you could give her a helping hand for the winter by donating a frame of brood. You’ll see in the spring if they decide to supersede her.

Latest posts

Back