sliding bottom boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.beebuzz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm having a hard time knowing when to slide my bottom board in & out due to temps, when do i leave them out? Thanks for the help.at what temp do we leave them out?

Last edited:
The boards are for monitoring varroa, so unless you are monitoring then take them out.

I have open mesh floors on all year. The only time I replace these with solid floors is to oxalic acid treatment just before Christmas. I put my open mesh floors back on around march. Bees generally won't die of cold, but most certainly will die of damp. Cold weather wil delay brood rearing somewhat, as the bees will have a smaller brood area that the bees can cover.
Clint

I have open mesh floors on all year. The only time I replace these with solid floors is to oxalic acid treatment just before Christmas. I put my open mesh floors back on around march. Bees generally won't die of cold, but most certainly will die of damp. Cold weather wil delay brood rearing somewhat, as the bees will have a smaller brood area that the bees can cover.
Clint

Hi Clint

Common opinion around here by many far wiser and more experienced than me is that its fine to leave OMF on all year around, but to leave on some top insulation which allows heat to be retained but any moisture generated to go down the sides. Monitoring floors left in for just that (monitoring) and removed otherwise.

Each to his own though and there are many who use solid floors all year around. Not heard of anyone swapping before.

We had a bee farmer, retired BI give us a talk last night,
he leaves his in.

Yep! I think you have misunderstood what the sliding floor is for! No one explains when you are buying a hive. It is really for seeing how many varoa fall out of your hive over a set period and the board should be greased slightly round edges to stop them crawling away! It is possible to use it if the weather is REALLY windy or REALLY cold but generally leave it out. Air is good for the bees and they generate and regulate their on warmth quite happily.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I leave mine off all year except for monitoring varroa drop, my hives have no ventilation in the roof as there is enough coming from the OMF and heat can remain in the top of the hive

Hi Clint

Common opinion around here by many far wiser and more experienced than me is that its fine to leave OMF on all year around, but to leave on some top insulation which allows heat to be retained but any moisture generated to go down the sides. Monitoring floors left in for just that (monitoring) and removed otherwise.

Each to his own though and there are many who use solid floors all year around. Not heard of anyone swapping before.

I agree with that. The only reason I replace floors is that the oxalic acid is supposed to attack metal. So I remove my metal omf for a wood one. I then leave it on until early march when I check hive weights to see if extra feeding is needed.
Clint

Back