Skiing Bees!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Whilst Skiing in Val d Isere earlier this year i came accross these, nothing to unusual to Alpine bees as you often see them on the side of chalets but not normally at this height or this location:

Mountainbees1.jpg

Mountainbees3.jpg

Mountainbees2.jpg

www.lafoliedouce.com

Pumping music every day of the skiing season!

C B

Last edited:
Nice photo capture! First I thought dodgy location, but I guess very limited public risk - when the skiers are active the bees are not and vice-versa.

Saw something similar in Val Thorens at Xmas, probably slightly higher at around 2300m.
It was on the Meribel side of the resort.

Saw something similar in Val Thorens at Xmas, probably slightly higher at around 2300m.
It was on the Meribel side of the resort.

What the bee's or Folie Douce? That place was great fun!

Look like mating nucs- possibly situated here to get away from the wrong sort of drones?

was in val thorens over new year and the folie douce above it must be over the 2400m,they have snow there right up untill the end of april/may am nearly sure......you can see the hives in this video at around 22seconds;o) [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44hZu2i6K4M[/ame]

Look like mating nucs- possibly situated here to get away from the wrong sort of drones?

No were full sized hives but you could be right about a mating apiary away from the rif raf!

Yeah ive seen thos very hives, I spent 6 months in Tinges Nr Val, and used to snowboard past them everyday. We also used to get very drunk and party there, very loud music, the snowboard home was always very interesting, I suppose in summer there is lots to forage on ;)

Latest posts

Back