Siting hives near railway line

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claregould

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have found a potential out apiary site with a rail line along one side of the site boundary. The foot of the rail embankment looks like a good position for the hives, but I'm wondering if the bees will be affected by any vibration from passing trains. It would be helpful to hear from anyone who has kept hives in a similar location.

There are a number of beeks with bees near railway lines and the bees seem to be happy enough. Search on this site trains as well as railway lines. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've got bees near a main line into London, they've never seemed to cared.

My new site for this year is alongside a railway line. The hives are 15-20m max from the lines and they've not shown any sign of problems so far. In fact the bees at this site are out performing the bees at my other site (honey wise).

The only thing that would (might) concern me is security. If the hives can be hidden from view, so train passengers can't see them, then I'd use the site. The railway lines might even help the bees navigate.

They would do well with all of the fire weed (purple flowers). As already said, keep them out of sight, and at least 5 meters away from the tracks and the air movement should not affect them.

Whenever I travel on the train I have always thought what amazing forage rail lines offer (and wish I could find a site). Bramble, buddleiah, willowherb, ivy, sycamore....massive amounts of potential from these tough and effective colonising plants (weeds in many eyes)

I have one apiary right next to the piccadilly line West London with no problems. I sometimes give the people a wave as they pass by.

I don't know if railway lines are that great especially now they have cut down most of the trees. If it's a choice of more concrete over a mile and a half strip of green wild flowers (if there is any) then yes but otherwise they provide a small percentage of what the bees have on offer over the mile and a half radius from the hive.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly. The hives would definitely be out of site from the rail line as the embankment is quite high and well vegetated with goat willow trees, brambles, rosebay willow herb, amongst other stuff.

Whenever I travel on the train I have always thought what amazing forage rail lines offer (and wish I could find a site). Bramble, buddleiah, willowherb, ivy, sycamore....massive amounts of potential from these tough and effective colonising plants (weeds in many eyes)
I often see apple trees as well .... totally agree potentially a great ecology.

I often see apple trees as well .... totally agree potentially a great ecology.

Ahhh ... that will be the apple core I threw out of the 3rd class uncorridored carriage, drop down, leather strapped, brass buttoned, door window on my way to Scotland in 1965 !

Those were the days when you could actually get fresh air and lean out of the window in the doors to enjoy the steam and smuts coming back from the Gresley A4 Double header beating its way up the East Coast ...

Sad old git ... I know ... I know ..

:iagree:

And you appear to be some sort of trainspotter!

Ahhh ... that will be the apple core I threw out of the 3rd class uncorridored carriage, drop down, leather strapped, brass buttoned, door window on my way to Scotland in 1965 !

When I worked at Swansea docks (before they 'developed' it) The railway embankment from the river all the way op to the oil tank farms was plastered with apple trees - tons of fruit there the year before they bulldozed the whole lot down. there was a pear tree next to the weigh bridge office, must have been twenty foot high and almost dwarfed the building again, that year I have never seen a tree bear so much fruit.

Latest posts

Back