Siting hives - helicopters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I have been asked a question today to which I didn't know the answer and would appreciate any help.

Is it possible to keep bees close to near where helicopters take off and land? The hives would be sited about 100 metres from the take off / landing point. We are not talking about a major airport - just a site where helicopters land and take off again on average about twice a week.

I was stumped when asked this question and am wondering if anyone knows the answer.

Many thanks

What size helo? If one of the big mil types: Chinook or Merlin, then probably no due to the downwash. Otherwise my instincts tell me it should be OK - especially if it's only a couple of times a week.

Hi

I have been asked a question today to which I didn't know the answer and would appreciate any help.

Is it possible to keep bees close to near where helicopters take off and land? The hives would be sited about 100 metres from the take off / landing point. We are not talking about a major airport - just a site where helicopters land and take off again on average about twice a week.

I was stumped when asked this question and am wondering if anyone knows the answer.

Many thanks

Where I live helicopters come over at least twice, sometimes four times, a day and the field behind my garden is a landing spot for the Cornwall Air Ambulance (which has been used on several occasions). In addition I use my petrol mower within 2 metres of the hives on a regular basis.

Between your bees and the helicopters hundreds of thousands of insects probably pass every single day, I wouldn't worry about the bees effect on helicopters nor the helicopters effect on the bees.

Can't see helicopters being a problem, certainly not at 100 metres.

Just MHO.

Last edited:
There has been a hive of bees on the south lawn of the White House in DC. Near the landing spot of the President's helicopter. The hive stand is attached to a concrete slab, and the hive is strapped to the stand....all so the hive doesn't get blown away by the prop wash from the helicopter.

Charlie Brandt takes care of that colony, and makes a good crop. Guess there's no problem with Michelle's hive. Too bad she's no longer in residence.

There has been a hive of bees on the south lawn of the White House in DC. Near the landing spot of the President's helicopter. The hive stand is attached to a concrete slab, and the hive is strapped to the stand....all so the hive doesn't get blown away by the prop wash from the helicopter.

Charlie Brandt takes care of that colony, and makes a good crop. Guess there's no problem with Michelle's hive. Too bad she's no longer in residence

bee-smillie

Many countries would agree that there is some very dodgey leadership of the worlds great nations at the present time... but it seems you could now end up with a :ban: for making any political observations on these pages!!

Mytten da

bee-smillie

Many countries would agree that there is some very dodgey leadership of the worlds great nations at the present time... but it seems you could now end up with a :ban: for making any political observations on these pages!!

Mytten da

She just happened to live there for 8 years. She wasn't the politician.

Yes indeed the poor woman. 8 years of her life she had to give up. That's expensive.

I believe there are are forums purely for political discussion and they can be very robust indeed. To me it makes total sense to keep politics to those forums and we spare them the bee talk.

Reasonable no?

PH

For the sake of political balance
The wife of the current US vice president is a beekeeper

Vince cable leader of the liberals is a beekeeper

The is a All-Party Parliamentary Group for Bees
which includes
Huw Merriman Conservative
Robert Flello Labour
Danny Kinahan Ulster Unionist Party
Simon Hoare Conservative
Richard Arkless Scottish National Party
Mrs Anne-Marie Trevelyan Conservative
Chris Green Conservative
Michael Tomlinson Conservative
Tim Loughton Conservative

Slovenia

Melanie is from Slovenia.
A small country with incredible bee-culture. Painted hives the home country of carnolian bees and excellent honey in every mountain village

:)

2 meter ?

Shiny side Up
In addition I use my petrol mower within 2 metres of the hives on a regular basis.

Unquote

I mow right in front of the hive, bees dont mind. ( But I ensure cut grass is not ejected hive side)

Well, it's a cunning plan, siting hives in helicopters.

I can see the advantage, easy to move the bees around, should increase the area they can cover.

Hi

It will certainly depend on the size of the aircraft.
You say landing Point as opposed to site so you would assume that it is a designated hard standing with a defined approach & takeoff path?

You would need to remember that the larger ones have hovering downdraughts in excess of 70MPH.
This can be greatly increased in a quick stop (as the women camping at Greenham Common in the 80s will testify). :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

A Ch47 in the Falklands managed to blow a 40Ft Iso container down a slope to catastrophic effect! So just imagine the results on a polly hive with a couple of bricks on the roof!

Our bees get quite aggressive any time a helicopter flys in the vicinity, particularly chinooks. I think it must be something to do with the vibration and change in air pressure as they tend to react a while before we can hear or see the helicopter.

Our bees get quite aggressive any time a helicopter flys in the vicinity, particularly chinooks. I think it must be something to do with the vibration and change in air pressure as they tend to react a while before we can hear or see the helicopter.
A chinook is avery big for a wasp..
There was a helicopter called a Wasp perhaps the bees remember it :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Wasp

I live about a mile from an RAF training base. Jets and helis all day long at low level, plus.a.frisnd of the family uses it to land a private Heli no more than 50m from my hives 4 or 5 times a month.
I have zero probably with bees reacting or hives knocked down its my best site productivity wise as well

. . . a.friend of the family uses it to land a private Heli no more than 50m from my hives 4 or 5 times a month.
I have zero probably with bees reacting or hives knocked down. . .

Peter hasn't said what will be landing, or what loads are being carried.

It really depends on what sort of aircraft is landing, some Mickey-Mouse, featherweight plaything, or a more robust (& heavier) All Weather Helicopter.

I think, from all that has been said, it's just "Common sense" time. Stand there while some of the helicopters are landing and taking off. If you "feel" that the bees would be OK, then go with that, IF you get knocked off your feet, then no.

Secondary check: Get an empty hive and a couple of supers (with frames), such equipment should be available at this time of year, build a "Dummy" hive, and see how it is in a months time. If it is still there, then there will not be a problem.

The helicopters might "annoy and distract" the bees, but not for long. Bees in themselves are quite resilient. I haven't killed mine yet :)

Latest posts

Back