Shrub identification request

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m100

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Enough
Could someone please try and identify this shrub for me?

In flower now, covered in honey bees and bumbles

Sweet smelling flowers, no odour from crushed leaves, about 4ft high maintained hedge, dense foliage.

Elaeagnus x Ebbingii commonly used for hedging especially in seaside areas as it's a good salt resister. Will get to a fair sized bush if left untrimmed.

Depends if your cat has been eating the potpourri again.

Elaeagnus x Ebbingii commonly used for hedging especially in seaside areas as it's a good salt resister. Will get to a fair sized bush if left untrimmed.

:iagree: In fact will get to 5m no problem.

An elaeagnus for sure - my E. pungens Maculata is in flower at the moment and covered with bumbles, honey bees, hover flies, in fact almost anything that flies! Highly scented.

CVB

Many thanks for all the replies.

Forgot to include a ruler alongside the photos in my original post. For reference the leaves are about 85mm long, and the flowers 8mm across. There were two varieties in close proximity, dark green as shown, and one with more silvery leaves.

At first sight, from the vast number of insects on it, it looks to be a useful autumn plant.

Chances are the dark green one is E. pungens, and the silvery one E. x ebbingei

Latest posts

Back