Showing frame suitable for extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Our local honey show is coming up and I've saved a nice frame to enter this class. Can anyone give me some advice about how/ if I should remove some propolis that is stuck to the top bar?

Thank you

I just leave the frame for a while for the propolis to get brittle then gently scrape with a sharp knife, a dab of white spirits on a piece of lint can help smarten it up a little as well. You should try and get the frame as clean as possible without messing around with the comb to any extent.

A light smear of vaseline on top bar of new frame reduces the amount of propolis put there in first place but obviously to late at this stage.
The comb in the frame should be evenly drawn and well capped without dips and hollows, clear of the woodwork so that uncapping will be an easier process.
Well filled and heavy for its size.Wired so the comb won’t collapse in the extractor
The woodwork should be clean not heavily varnished with propolis or blackened with usage /age.The honey should be all of one colour with no sign of granulation
& with no cells containing pollen or other debris
The cappings should be clean, white raised (not sunken and greasy) and all of the same sort (drone comb is easier to extract),
No Braula tunnels or wax moth larvae or earwigs or their “droppings”

The one problem I've noticed with using drone comb is, as the cappings tend to be thinned toward the edges on each cell, if the honey is anything but light each cell looks dark around the edges and it doesn't 'present' so well

A light smear of vaseline on top bar of new frame reduces the amount of propolis put there in first place but obviously to late at this stage.s”
I'll try and remember that for next year

Latest posts

Back