Should I feed syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
20 plus mini nucs, double nucs
Should I feed my bees syrup? My poor bees are Very low on stores, weather cloudy/ dull/cold/damp and looks like its going to be like that for a few more weeks. If I were a bee, I would be pretty depressed stuck in the hive unable to get out and collect all the fresh pollen that's about. We had 2 days of sun and the bees were frantically shovelling pollen through the entrance.

I would say it depends a bit on the bees. If they are a good size and lively, they will handle syrup well. I've been using syrup for a few weeks with no problems. The bees aren't clustered so they have mobility which is important. Put a drop of lemon grass oil in the syrup so they know it's there, or else dribble a little down the feeder slot so they can follow the trail.

Thanks Chris, I am a bit worried as I do not want to stress them and cause nosema, but would like them to expand brood nest. I will assess each colony, one colony may already have a touch of nosema so won't feed them syrup but will give the, fondant.

Don't worry, you won't cause or increase nosema by feeding syrup. You might have triggered a bit of dysentery by having fermenting stores over the last 3 or 4 months but if you''re feeding light colonies now they'll be using it fast, and there's little chance for fermentation. That risk is past. If you're worried at all just make the syrup strong.

Thanks Chris that's very helpful. All I want to do is help my bees over the next few months when they are desperately trying to increase brood nest and forage at the same time. I now feel confidant that feeding them syrup will help them and not harm them.

When I checked a week and a half ago both my hive's had almost finished on there fondant from xmas (2.5kg). I did have a very quick inspection and it seemed there is a good amount of food covering still left (i'd suspect its because im on ls poly hive's).

I currently have an upturned poly feeder so the fondant was directly on the frames, am I best now taking this away when I can get there on a mild day and replacing with 2.5litres of 1:1 syrup above feed hole on crownboard? (that way they get the water) or leaving for a few more weeks. It did not seem much room for the queens to lay on both hives due to the stores left but not much pollen (i spotted both queens during the check which was also good).

I currently have an upturned poly feeder so the fondant was directly on the frames, am I best now taking this away when I can get there on a mild day and replacing with 2.5litres of 1:1 syrup above feed hole on crownboard? (that way they get the water) or leaving for a few more weeks.

If you've got plenty of stores then you do have a different scenario. You don't need to feed at all if you don't want. There's no point in totally filling the brood nest and restricting laying space, but I'd tend to agree a light syrup feed would be good. It should stimulate them a bit and increase brood rearing and shouldn't be stored. Eggs laid now will be foragers in about 6 weeks so good for the rape (if you have any).

Latest posts

Back