Should I bother?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In one colony I used to have a Vigin Queen as a result of supercedure. She hatched on the 27th or 28th of May There is NO brood of any discription. I have inspected three times since the 27th and have sighted no Queen last night I noted the Pollen sealed with a a good film of nectar! Should I bother with a test frame of eggs before re Queening to make sure theres no Queen or just dangle a cage in now? Bearing in mind the time gap if I place a place a test frame in and they dont raise cells she might turn into a DLQ anyway. Its a pity the bees and theres still lots of them are very placid but are missing mummy now I THINK ! Anyone any thoughts?

I would stick in a test frame.

last night i was certain that i was going to need to unite a hive with a spare nuc i had made when i split the hive. on last inspection queen in Nuc going great guns and nothing in main hive. i had taken a QC for the NUc from this hive and they looked the same age. i thought it was totaly out of time.

I even went out and brought some haze air spray to unite i was so sure the main hive was queenless but thought i would just have a look and ....low eggs and queen in place in main hive..........

Thats not to say she wont be a drone layer but i have the time to see what happens.

she might turn into a DLQ anyway

Are you referring to your new queen in the cage here? It is not entirely clear.

If so, it is unusual, or should I say less common, that a new queen in a cage is a virgin.

Two days for a test frame, even for newbie to recognise cells being drawn, is fairly irrelevant when one considers she (the new queen) might be a long time dead if there is another virgin in there already.

It's only been a bit over four weeks - be patient for a few weeks yet (no harm in a test frame though) I had a queen last year took over 6 weeks to mate - going great guns now though.
In retrospect (great thing that innit) maybe you could have held off on the weekly inspections after emergence to give her peace to mate.

Last edited:
Flemage... it seems the weather hereabouts is causing the bees to time things differently, but I agree a nuc with a laying queen raised from your own line of bees the best insurance going !

I even went out and brought some haze air spray to unite i was so sure the main hive was queenless but thought i would just have a look and ....low eggs and queen in place in main hive..........

:eek::eek: Recycled newspaper's better for the environment and works in 24 hours...

I was under the impression that after 40 days or so if not mated, a virgin might not be physically suitable for mating maybe test frame is another tool to shed clarity on situation, when it warms up a bit keep you posted. Thank you for your responses and advice.

Yes but the books aren't always right - the authors didn't always ask the bees :D - and the bees are notorious for not reading the right books!! as icanhopit said - the strange weather is making the bees do things differently

icanhopit

i was very close to PMing you to see if you had any AMM queens as i do at some point want to give them ago. perhaps at some point if you do have a spare could you PM me and perhaps i could make up a nuc and play?

Susbee

i was reading threads yesterday and they were saying 7 days for newspaper and that the Haze method was good and fairly instant? I dont really know as i have never done it before. As for environment i would imagine that newspapers arent great, bleach for paper, transport etc however i would imagine that Haze is would have a higher impacted as its a metal container. Dont know realy thought i would give it ago.

good luck

my moneys on no queen cells.......

Let us know how it goes

checked the test frame quickly earlier in poor weather but not raining. 7 cups and two slighly more elongated/drawn cells look very emergency like. The bees were very unhappy of my presence !!!

Back