should I be worried? damp between insulation and stand.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The second hive up needs the alighting board fixing back on.

Its been moved beside this other hive thou in the pic you see, It does have a landing board its just its difficult to see in this pic.

Why so much insulation?
I only put kingspan over crown board & roof on top. Strap down & mouse guard on.
But don't think the insulation is the problem, it's the stand. You may need to wedge something under the four corners to raise it above that flat timber, as that's where the water is gathering.

Yep a simple case of hive not treated/painted with or without insulation jacket.

Here's one of my 2 a.m. ideas - find yourself a strip of polythene and attach it - with drawing pins - to the base of the hive to form a 'skirt' around it - and running up just a couple of inches - so it would actually be a 'mini-skirt' :)

Then plonk the insulation over that - in theory, the water should run off the insulation and away to the side by courtesy of the polythene.

Might be worth trying as a 'field fix' - no guarantees, mind.

Just ensure that the entrance is left open.

LJ

classic building problem.

a building of absorbent material erected on a horizontal water retaining substrate needs an impermeable barrier between the building and the substrate
This can be achieved by treating the building material to make it less absorbent or placing a different materieal between the substrate and the building.(in brick buildings this is usually a DPC).

treat the wood and/or put it on bits of tile or metal or plastic

The covers I have made normally come down almost the full height of the hive (5mm gap) with a crisp edge at the bottom to shed water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back