Should I be concerned?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the last one I was at we had to wear plastic aprons and gloves. All the frames were dead, of course
A very worthwhile day
I agree, I've done two bee health days and they are well worth it. It was the information I picked up on those that enabled me to identify two hives with EFB recently. It allowed me to minimise the problem early.

odd ones look strange.
The two on the left of your first photo look as if the heads have been chewed away by bees: a common attempt to clear larvae compromised by varroa.

The middle cell highlighted looks like the start of a Sacbrood forming, a virus not easy to get rid of
I agree; second set of photos show other examples of pointy-tailed larvae forming.

Is there a test for sacbrood
No; it's a minor viral disease for which the usual solution is to re-queen, working on the basis that the genetics of some bees are more disposed to it than others. There's been a lot about since 2020.

do people just not recognise it or just not report it even though a legal requirement
Valid point; standard of disease awareness among UK beekeepers is very low. Some beekeepers deal with E/AFB without reporting it, and some ignore the possibility or the eventuality.

" Get to know very well what is normal " - exactly - experience!!

"Hopefully next year the inspectors will be running disease days." I do hope so - you cannot beat actual hands on experience. Expect demand to be very high!

Interesting question here (and not really expecting an answer) - is it genuinely rare, or do people just not recognise it or just not report it even though a legal requirement because of the fear/consequences of positive results? ( makes me sound cynical but not - just a passing thought).
Ian
The lack of practical beekeeping offered is the main problem I believe, the BBKA policy of “ The theory of everything “ is not helpful for beekeepers maybe the inspectors need to stimulate some practical led sessions.

Not cynical at all, I think it was Jersey or Guernsey that insisted they had no foul brood until the inspectors arrived and showed them what it looked like

Thanks All - some great advice and comments. Calling for the SBI is quite intimidating but take on board all the comments.

I did check for varroa on the varroa tray ( I know not the most reliable), but not seen any - these are 80% new foundation (only the nuc for the original bees was old), and none seen on bees ( but old man eyes may have missed them). Will definitely check again. I do have some treatments on order too.

Last edited:
Thanks All - some great advice and comments. Calling for the SBI is quite intimidating
Nope, better to be safe than sorry. They’re a great team & an asset to be used. It’ll be a hell of a lot more intimidating if there is an issue that goes undiscovered. As previously said, just send them a few photos and let them be the judge

Thanks All - some great advice and comments. Calling for the SBI is quite intimidating but take on board all the comments.

I did check for varroa on the varroa tray ( I know not the most reliable), but not seen any - these are 80% new foundation (only the nuc for the original bees was old), and none seen on bees ( but old man eyes may have missed them). Will definitely check again. I do have some treatments on order too.
No reason to feel intimidated, they are friendly, helpful and not judgmental.

Update
Called the RBI and he came today and did a full round of inspections. Very useful and helpful advice. Found a few strange cells which were tested for EFB and found to be negative.

So all good. Thanks for everyone's comments and contributions - much appreciated.

Ian

Update
Called the RBI and he came today and did a full round of inspections. Very useful and helpful advice. Found a few strange cells which were tested for EFB and found to be negative.

So all good. Thanks for everyone's comments and contributions - much appreciated.

Ian
Brilliant result ... wonder what those molten larvae were though ? Did he give you any indication ...

You did the right thing though ....

Update

Ian
Great. Fast service that

"Could be anything" Most likely to be neglected for some reason - he wasn't sure or concerned. It could have been a result of something we did trying to build up a new hive and we "disturbed" the rhythm.

Last edited:
"Could be anything" Most likely to be neglected for some reason - he wasn't sure or concerned. It could be been a result of something we did trying to build up a new hive and we "disturbed" the rhythm.
Yes my SBI spotted ONE wrong larva and tested it. He said larvae die of lots of things that aren’t important

Very glad things turned out okay 👍

Latest posts

Back