Shook swarm frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have loads of frames from a shook swarm, I have lots of frames with brood and lots of frames with both brood and honey, and then frames with just honey.
Over the years I've just had a bonfire with the brood frames and kept the full honey frames, It does seem a shame to lose all that honey in the frames with both brood and honey in though, what does any one else do.

What a terrible waste of brood, stressing the bees for no good reason apart from some out dated and incorrect mantra pushed by the usual culprits.
Only justification for a shook swarm is an outbreak of EFB

Last edited:
Frankly hoisted on your own petard. What a dreadful waste.

I mean REALLY???? Time for a reality check. Sorry but...

PH

So your telling me you don’t do shook swarms anymore ?
how else would you charge 3-4 year old frames with high varroa count. Having spoken to plenty of folk at bbka convention, it’s still a popular form of varroa control.

So your telling me you don’t do shook swarms anymore ?
anymore?
try ever
I care for my bees
how else would you charge 3-4 year old frames with high varroa count.
A) don't get to the point where you have a high varroa count - it's called good husbandry
b) Work the older frames out if they need replacing or discard during Demarree.
C) religiously changing comb every three years is not needed - another example of non thinking beekeeping

Having spoken to plenty of folk at bbka convention.
QED
I speak to the village idiot on almost a daily basis - doesn't mean I heed anything he says
it’s still a popular form of varroa control.
Amongst the BBKA types, not anyone with half an iota of common sense - may explain why you have such a high varroa load

Last edited:
Bailey comb change is a much better idea or change 2 or 3 every year.

Shook swarm, bailey comb change, what a complete waste, comb gets migrated to the end of the hive, surely at some point during the season gets light with honey and removed.

What a terrible waste of brood, stressing the bees for no good reason apart from some out dated and incorrect mantra pushed by the usual culprits.
Only justification for a shook swarm is an outbreak of EFB

Only justification for a shook swarm is an outbreak of EFB.... JBM.. that is BBKA mantra....

Burn the bastards!!!
ONLY solution IMOVLO!!!
:calmdown:

Yeghes da

Shook swarm, bailey comb change, what a complete waste, comb gets migrated to the end of the hive, surely at some point during the season gets light with honey and removed.
:iagree:
Been moving frames to the end of hive for years and never had a problem. Frames are then ‘ usually ‘ free of brood, wax recovered and frame cleaned and reused ! Can’t believe some of the utter rubbish that spouts from this so called bee keeping organisation!
S

If You want to change all your frames in 1 go simply stick a new box on top and wait for the bees to go up. Just pull the old box once the broods emerged, as you have just said yourself its a waste so why do it. If you want to stick a treatment on go ahead or buy a vape. There is nothing a shook swarm achieves that can not be simply done in otherways unless you want to reduce any honey surplus of course

I have ‘shook swarm’ in the past. Only a couple of seasons. No wasted brood as all frames placed into other colonies. I never found it to be particularly advantageous, but it did reinforce the production colonies, which was one of the priorities.

Same as drone brood frames for varroa. There are better ways than wasting all that colony effort (say several thousand drones instead of workers, wasted energy and effort by nurse bees, etc).

Latest posts

Back