Shaded hives ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

It's my 1st year beekeeping , I started with 2 hive and then acquired a swarm in June . My question is I have a small apiary which is in a sunny area , but I'm expecting next year I may be expanding my collection of hives . I have another area I could home my hives but they are under a large tree and are constantly in the shade. Would this be a problem?
Thx

This was discussed before and the general consensus was that bees do get on better in a sunny position but nothing wrong with a shaded position, so if you have a choice sunny is best

One of my apiaires is tucked away in a corner of a friend's parents' garden - rather shaded for most of the day - doesn't stop them piling in the honey though - one swarm caught beginning of July now on third super.

This site I have in mind is in constant shade , if I did use it ,it would mean I can contain my 3 existing hives and possible new hives next year in one location which would be great
Thx

Move the tree

I did that to make space at the Brynmair apiary - three Scots pines about 20 feety tall or so and a douglas (I think)fir about 30 to 40 feet tall as well as a handful of deciduous trees - a neighbour was very impressed at the way i used ropes and pulleys to make sure the larger one fell in exactly the right spot, missing the greenhouse in a relatively small space - next door neighbour is still keeping his wood burner going on them!

This site I have in mind is in constant shade , if I did use it ,it would mean I can contain my 3 existing hives and possible new hives next year in one location which would be great
Thx

all my hives are sitting in the shade of oaks and ash trees, yet still gave me a good crop,

http://youtu.be/_0KplHHAjig

The upside is that in a year like this it's a lot cooler in a beesuit in the shade.

Ours are in shade until midday and there appears to be no difference in activity between shade and sun, but most are in poly so they probably don't notice!

Tim. :)

Mine are under trees with no problems what ever.

I wouldn't put hives in damp woodland, however much sun they got.....

You know that when you have alternatives to compare.

I must cut my hedge lower to eliminate shadows.

Last edited:
A pal had 3 hives in a line away from a (pretty much North/South) hedge.
The hives were on the west side of the hedge.
The lot nearest the hedge (getting the sun later in the day, fewer hours in the sun) consistently under-performed. Later, slower colony expansion (less bees) and unsurprisingly, less crop - particularly from the OSR.

My considered opinion is that getting sun early in the day definitely helps that colony "get started".
And getting SOME sun (if its out) on the hive at some point in the day in Winter is a very good thing too, not least for driving off some dampness from wooden hives.

It's not shade now which matters, it's shade in winter you don't want, as you need every bit of warmth you can get into the brood to support it.

I have two in the shade and it has made on difference to them what so ever. But in the winter and spring when the sun drops in the sky they will be in full sunlight all day long once the cloud clears and that's why they were put there.

It's not shade now which matters, it's shade in winter you don't want, as you need every bit of warmth you can get into the brood to support it.

Provided by the bees

seems people forget that in winter, all those little green things that cause the shade fall off!!!, what are they called, oh yeah, leaves, the leaves fall off the trees, no more shade, and sun that comes out hits the hives more than in the summer time

Back