Sevill oranges in the shops now ..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
For all you jam makers out there ... Just made a batch of marmalade for the year - found the Seville oranges in stock at my local greengrocers and bought a couple of kilos - enough to make 12 jars.

Last year's was a bit runny so I changed to a different recipe this year and it has set well - very tasty as well.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1153/ultimate-seville-orange-marmalade

I didn't faff around splitting it into two batches as I have a good maslen and a gas hob so a rolling boil with a full batch wasn't an issue. Used a bit more sugar than the recipe called for and the juice of two lemons as I like the bite a bit of lemon juice give it - but otherwise same proportions of ingredients as per recipe.

Did you use honey instead of gran. sugar?

lf so, perhaps ivy honey might give it a special taste and make it set harder?:sorry:

Thanks for the heads up, it's definately marmalade making weather!

Haven't reached us yet. We are always two weeks behind with everything from Seville oranges to ivy flowers!

For what it's worth I have small micro business making home made Jams chutneys etc. My Seville orange marmalade has been awarded silver at the the last three World Marmalade festival, held at Dalemain in Cumbria every March. Missed gold standard because of bubbles....in fact a very good friend of mine, another beekeeper, actually won the double gold last year with a Honey and Lemon Marmalade. As now sold at Fortnum and Mason's. At least until next years winner is announced.
A good day out if anyone is keen.

I have several jars of honey from brood frames along with one of the tins of prepared oranges ready for me to turn into some lovely marmalade.

I'm afraid I just cheat a bit and add some honey at the end of cooking, just enough to give a flavour.

Are you able to share any tips, Thymallus?

For what it's worth I have small micro business making home made Jams chutneys etc. My Seville orange marmalade has been awarded silver at the the last three World Marmalade festival, held at Dalemain in Cumbria every March. Missed gold standard because of bubbles....in fact a very good friend of mine, another beekeeper, actually won the double gold last year with a Honey and Lemon Marmalade. As now sold at Fortnum and Mason's. At least until next years winner is announced.
A good day out if anyone is keen.

Fantastic we have an almost world champion in our midst ... I didn't even know there was a world marmalade festival but it's a bit of a hike for me to come and see it.

Are you going to give us any tips without giving away any secrets ???

Quote:
Is making marmalade dependent on a certain kind of weather?
Not really, I just always seem to make it on a cold grey day!

I think we have the world Champion on this forum somewhere.....if the modest little devil can be persuaded to come out........I was an also ran. The silver refers to a defined standard not to a second place in the competition. I was told we didn't get a gold standard because we had a few too many bubbles in our marmalade.......but was highly commended on flavour as being up there with the best
One tip.....save your money on the lemon juice........ The set is caused by pectin and sugar forming a polymer at high temperature under acid conditions. There is plenty of acid in the seville oranges so no need to add extra lemon juice. Although it is necessary for sets in some jams etc due to their lack of acid, but it seems that the recipe books just add lemon juice into any recipe willy nilly. Whether it's needed or not.
I'd tell you my recipe, but you know how the recipe sharing stories go...and I'm not a violent person.

I'd tell you my recipe, but you know how the recipe sharing stories go...and I'm not a violent person.

Go on ... do tell ... Winters not over yet and we are getting fed up of arguing about OA, Dave Cushman and Poly hives ... I'll give you a starter for 10.....

Award Winning Seville Orange Marmalade Recipe ......

Latest posts

Back