selling hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than 4
I need to scale down
I've got a quantity of surplus kit
What is a fair price for a second hand sterilised cedar hive excellent condition?
om floor
brood box (castellated)
super (castellated)
crown board
roof (metal)
Nationals

Last edited:
castellated brood box ?

Quite a few folk use castellated spacers in the brood
I don’t like them but if you have the knack of rotating the first frame towards you then you can avoid rolling bees. If you are rolling bees then best try without the spacer

I have only ever come across just one beekeeper before (and I have keeping bees for quite a while in both worcestershire and yorkshire) that uses castellations in a brood box so was a bit surprised and curious why you might use them there.

Do tell us the reasons for your choice as I can only see disadvantages like not being able to slide the combs along the runners, rolling bees when you lift the frames and tearing nitrile gloves on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only ever come across just one beekeeper before (and I have keeping bees for quite a while in both worcestershire and yorkshire) that uses castellations in a brood box so was a bit surprised and curious why you might use them there.

Do tell us the reasons for your choice as I can only see disadvantages like not being able to slide the combs along the runners, rolling bees when you lift the frames and tearing nitrile gloves on them.

I might leave this here but maybe the chap just wants a price without the thread turning into an argument

Buyer can easily remove castellations or keep them as he/she desires.

Yes they are removable.

Not something I would use, had some on a hive I bought and found it a total pain.

PH

I have only ever come across just one beekeeper before.

Quite a few use them - Pete Little being one of the bee farmers I know that do.
It gives you a slightly wider spacing than bog standard Hoffman frames for one thing and It's a lot better than using those awful plastic spacer pushed on to the end of DN1 frames that the dinosaurs seem to love

I need to scale down
I've got a quantity of surplus kit
What is a fair price for a second hand sterilised cedar hive excellent condition?
om floor
brood box (castellated)
super (castellated)
crown board
roof (metal)
Nationals

I think something like that was going for between £70 - £120 in the spring bee auctions down West this year

Anything more than £120 and the buyer will be cheaper to buy a (new) polyhive.. Now I know some peopel love wood, but it seems to me above that price level you are possibly restricting your target audience.

Try selling on ebay ending on a Sunday at around 8pm.. (peak time) A starting price of say £25 and a reserve of say £70? Lots of buyers get carried away and pay stupid money.. A well written script and super pictures (and nice clean hive) make selling at a good price easy.. or easier..

And its well worth costing out the price of carriage/delivery and letting people know that as well, unless of course you limit it to collection in person only.

Back