self defrosting fridges

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontbee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than before
Hello, does anyone know what to do when your self-defrosting fridge doesn't drain the water out, anymore? Is there a remedy, or is the fridge a write off? It seems to be functioning OK in all other respects. Thanks.

Is the drain just not blocked? Normally water drains to a tray fixed over the compressor where it is evaporated by the compressor warmth.

RAB

Is the drain just not blocked? Normally water drains to a tray fixed over the compressor where it is evaporated by the compressor warmth.

RAB

In our fridge the drain hole is in a moulded channel under the bottom shelf. Poking a drinking straw through it usually works.

Hi RAB, thanks for the suggestion. I did think of sticking something down the outlet, but thought it might be more prudent to seek advice before possibly irreparably damaging something....

I will give it a go. Thanks for explaining where the water goes - hadn't worked that one out yet, despite having never drained a reservoir, doh...

Job done, thanks RAB. Stuck a crochet hook down, handle first - didn't work. Hook end worked a treat, even though it didn't hook anything out - I'm rather relieved to say.

But, now I am thinking, thinking about all the grot that must be left when the water evaporates. Can I get at this to clean it out? I suspect my sleep with be plagued by stealth mould tonight.

If you look at the back of the freezer, there is usually a plastic tray at the back at the bottom over a large piece of metal. That piece of metal gets hot ( the compressor) and evaporates the water. You can clean it if you want but......it isn't IN the fridge so why bother! You have fixed it now so..... Leave well alone is my advice!
E

Most user manuals are on-line and likely cover this problem. It has reminded me that maybe I should be checking ours - it is about 8 years old.

Al I need is the E-Nr number for the bodge fridge, or find the destructions in the filing cabinet. Faiing that, just hook it out and see. Prolly needs cleaning out behind there, anyway!

RAB

Many thanks guys. Sorry GJ, didn't see your post advising the same as RAB.

Thanks to you all, gents. As the fridge is "built under" I think I'll go back to my state of blissful ignorance.... I've already had to come to terms with the fact that there is limited access for cleaning under. Didn't think of that before I bought it. :blush5:

In our fridge the drain hole is in a moulded channel under the bottom shelf. Poking a drinking straw through it usually works.

Just don't suck!

In my experience the tray over the compressor doesn't get too grotty (last built in fridge removed after about ten years and tray reasonably clean)
It's just the tube from the drain channel down to the tray that gets 'furred up' over time - always had problems with that fridge getting blocked up.

Latest posts

Back