Section honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dto001

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Good day all,

I hope everyone is keeping well in these times.
Just a quick question I did a small few sections last year on hanging section frames and they turned out well. I'm just wondering can I convert a national super (poly) to hold sections so I don't have to buy a load of hanging section frames and just get the actual sections.

Thanks

You can buy a specific section rack/box I suggest you have a look at a commercially produced box and use as a guide to knock 1 up if you are that way inclined.

For section honey I used Ross Rounds which were Langstroth and they worked very well as the bees are much happier to complete little circles than little squares. a really good flow helps a lot of course.

PH

For section honey I used Ross Rounds which were Langstroth and they worked very well as the bees are much happier to complete little circles than little squares. a really good flow helps a lot of course.

PH

Another advantage with the Ross rounds and hanging frames is you can rotate the half finished outer frames/sections into the centre. I love sections and really enjoy the production. There’s some good comb honey books and if you google comb honey by Richard Taylor. Before any bother saying it’s a U.S book we are aware!....Ian

Last edited:
Years ago when sections were more popular people served them up at the table in special tureens. They make good collectables with their large bee lid handles. People finding them in antique/junk shops and flea markets are often sold them as butter dishes (and not many people use butter dishes in these days of tubs of so called spreadable butter!)

Attachments

• Section tureen lids.jpg
    Section tureen lids.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Section Tureen Royal Devon.jpg
    Section Tureen Royal Devon.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Section tureen Caverswall Bone china.jpg
    Section tureen Caverswall Bone china.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
My favourite one is the one made by Grimwades (Royal winton)

Attachments

• Royal Winton Section Tureen.jpg
    Royal Winton Section Tureen.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 80
Taylor is on my book shelf and its the first book I bought from the states and realised that what he was talking about and what I knew my bees were capable of were literally an ocean apart. Good book but not relevant to Scotland.

PH

Taylor is on my book shelf and its the first book I bought from the states and realised that what he was talking about and what I knew my bees were capable of were literally an ocean apart. Good book but not relevant to Scotland.

PH

Dear god I did add the bit at the end of my last post to say it’s a US book to avoid people posting the obvious!! And whilst his books may be US there’s some good principles and techniques just don’t expect the same results!

Last edited:
Nowt wrong with American beekeepers or many of their books either. Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping by Caron is up there with the best. Their ABJ magazine puts our BBKA one to total shame.

Years ago when sections were more popular people served them up at the table in special tureens. They make good collectables with their large bee lid handles. People finding them in antique/junk shops and flea markets are often sold them as butter dishes (and not many people use butter dishes in these days of tubs of so called spreadable butter!)

Thanks for posting the images.
Over the years my children have added to my collection of bee related china that was passed down to me by my Grandmother....now it is obvious what they were for!

Meur ras

Yeghes da

Heres a few more

Attachments

• Purple Glass Section tureen.jpg
    Purple Glass Section tureen.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Section Tureen Taylors.jpg
    Section Tureen Taylors.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Section tureen with drip tray.jpg
    Section tureen with drip tray.jpg