Second success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabby15

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
First one was getting honey in first year
Second one is my lovely runner ducklings have grown up and started to lay. Well it is exciting to me, honey and eggs. Lovely.
Pic of ducks and the drake, Francis (of course)

First one was getting honey in first year
Second one is my lovely runner ducklings have grown up and started to lay. Well it is exciting to me, honey and eggs. Lovely.
Pic of ducks and the drake, Francis (of course)

I would be excited as well ... our two new hens (White Sussex) have just started to lay ... lovely small pullet eggs but they are delicious and you are right ... it's great when you find a nice fresh egg or two !

Don't know a lot about ducks ... something to consider for the future ? Do Runners need a pond ? And you have a Drake ... so are you going to be breeding or do ducks need a drake to keep them in line ?

We had hens but I found them difficult to like! Never named them so didn't find it difficult to "euthanise" them when they were old and not laying. Ducks have character and are so funny to watch. Runner don't need a pond but they love it when water made available either a paddling pool or a large storage box full. We are not going to breed ( and runners lay and leave their eggs anywhere so you really need an incubator or a broody hen to get ducklings) but it is difficult to get sellers to sell ducks without taking a Drake as well as the drakes obviously less popular. Husband had agreed to getting two ducks. Hence why we have three and a Drake! Named after their colours so left to right, caramel, apricot, and marmite. Francis is on the far right. He is about 2 feet tall but they are all quite docile when being handled.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back