Scum!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2hives

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all. Honey extraction done-1st ever and 108 pounds from my 2 hives. Way to go girls!!!! O.K, now i need to know the best thing to use to remove the scum off the top. I have got quite a lot off, but now seem to be wasting honey in trying to remove it all. Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks. Easy when you know how! Will certainly give it a go.

Mainly bubbles and some pollen. I don't bother removing it these days I just keep the last couple of jars for myself.

Last two jars if you tilt the bucket when you jar. Then bubbles go to top of those jars. Use that in coffee and the rest of the jar is perfect!
E

Fill the bucket to the top, make sure the lid touches the honey only slightly. Leave it settle for a few weeks, when you extract remove the lid most of the "scum" is on the lid.

It might have been helpful if you had volunteered, or someone had asked, how you extracted. Presumably with an extractor, but how did you uncap? Cut with knife or scratched with a fork? Guessing the latter.

Back