Scum strike again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
What sort of low life would bother to nick an ex plastic dog bed turned into a bee pond filled with rubble and water? The mind boggles.
Cazza

Maybe who ever it was fancied it could be a prize-winner if entered for the Turner Prize. Tate Modern: Yuk.

Probably the same guy that walks his dog down by your apiary and lets his dog empty it's bowels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It beggars belief but as I get older I find that my faith in human nature descends to an ever decreasing low. As a kid in Yorkshire we didn't even HAVE a key for the back door of the house - let alone lock it. Days when you could leave your bike propped against the front wall and not have to think about chaining it up with something that would serve as an anchor chain for a frigate - days when I roamed far and wide at an age only barely after I had started school. Everyone knew everyone, everyone knew me - the local bobby knew everyone, where they lived and what they did. Nobody really had anything of immense value but there were very few thieves ...

I suppose the mobility of the population, the anonymity of transient communities and the increasing post-war desire for more and more material possessions has led to the apparently uncaring and callous members of society that live amongst us ?

Just very sad ...

It beggars belief but as I get older I find that my faith in human nature descends to an ever decreasing low. As a kid in Yorkshire we didn't even HAVE a key for the back door of the house - let alone lock it. Days when you could leave your bike propped against the front wall and not have to think about chaining it up with something that would serve as an anchor chain for a frigate - days when I roamed far and wide at an age only barely after I had started school. Everyone knew everyone, everyone knew me - the local bobby knew everyone, where they lived and what they did. Nobody really had anything of immense value but there were very few thieves ...
Still much like that here.

Just had a re think on this, what if a person decided to rescue a perfectly good dog basket and recycle it, as dear old Mrs Jones's dog hasn't got one.

I suppose the mobility of the population, the anonymity of transient communities and the increasing post-war desire for more and more material possessions has led to the apparently uncaring and callous members of society that live amongst us ?

Just very sad ...

People's expectations are high. The expectation that they can have what their peers have without having the money for it starts at school...phones, trainers etc etc.
We used to call it on the never never when I was a child and very few people got stuff on tick. You earned the money then bought it.

Same here, paper round, helped a dairy farm, helped a milkman, car washing, Saturday job in the market, and that was without the jobs I had to do in the house to earn my pocket money. You would probably have to pay your kids these days the minimum wage. What scares me now is that society has become cognitive and what parents do kids do the same, where as year passed we would want better for our kids and try and teach them wrong from right

People's expectations are high. The expectation that they can have what their peers have without having the money for it starts at school...phones, trainers etc etc.
We used to call it on the never never when I was a child and very few people got stuff on tick. You earned the money then bought it.

Same here, paper round, helped a dairy farm, helped a milkman, car washing, Saturday job in the market, and that was without the jobs I had to do in the house to earn my pocket money. You would probably have to pay your kids these days the minimum wage. What scares me now is that society has become cognitive and what parents do kids do the same, where as year passed we would want better for our kids and try and teach them wrong from right

Yes ... much the same as when I was growing up ... My dad was a teacher and we were well off compared to some around us but it was a very different existence - I worked for the local butchers after school from about the age of 11 for an hour a day making sausages (H&S bit lax in those days !) and from 14 I worked on Doncaster market every Saturday. My parents didn't force me - it was what I wanted to do and most of my friends had similar jobs. But the things I spent my money on did not seem to require the huge financial outlay that kids face these days in keeping up with their peer group...

Things were simpler - would/could be mended rather than thrown away - fashion didn't really happen until the 1960's and even then it was mainly clothes - no mobile phone, no computers, 12" TV set with one channel until ItV arrived - films were what you went to the cinema to see and a gadget was something you had to turn a handle on - No internet, no social media - Good grief I never had an indian curry or a chinese until I got to college in Portsmouth in 1967 !

I was six the first time I saw a Chinese, they opened a fish & chip shop around the corner. My mother warned me to behave before I went in. I couldn't understand what she meant as my best mate was Indian

Yes ... much the same as when I was growing up ... My dad was a teacher and we were well off compared to some around us but it was a very different existence - I worked for the local butchers after school from about the age of 11 for an hour a day making sausages (H&S bit lax in those days !) and from 14 I worked on Doncaster market every Saturday. My parents didn't force me - it was what I wanted to do and most of my friends had similar jobs. But the things I spent my money on did not seem to require the huge financial outlay that kids face these days in keeping up with their peer group...

Things were simpler - would/could be mended rather than thrown away - fashion didn't really happen until the 1960's and even then it was mainly clothes - no mobile phone, no computers, 12" TV set with one channel until ItV arrived - films were what you went to the cinema to see and a gadget was something you had to turn a handle on - No internet, no social media - Good grief I never had an indian curry or a chinese until I got to college in Portsmouth in 1967 !

Living out in the sticks Saturday jobs weren't an option so i kept chickens and sold eggs as a source of additional pocket money.
A foreigner to me was someone from outside our shire although somehow Irish potato pickers who came back every year were considered local.

It's a generation thing. Our expectation are based on prior experiences, those around today know no different!
We all miss things we used to do during our childhood.
When I weigh up all the positives and negatives I would still like to be as I am today compared with life 50 years ago.

It's a generation thing. Our expectation are based on prior experiences, those around today know no different!
We all miss things we used to do during our childhood.
When I weigh up all the positives and negatives I would still like to be as I am today compared with life 50 years ago.

I think overall I preferred life as a child. A few more years and perhaps I can have a second childhood? :sunning:

We walked the mile to school - on our own (two of us) - from an early age. The road sweeper always chatted and he remembered any unusual vehicle without a local number, as there were so few. We roamed about 300 acres of woodland, but kept away from one area (didn't know why we were told not to go there, but later it became clear that was the pheasant rearing patch of the local gamekeeper).

Farmhouse was usually unlocked. The regular weekly callers were the baker (3 times a week?), butcher, coop order clerk, coop delivery man, laundry man and egg man. They all stopped for a cuppa, I think. Postie didn't stop for a cuppa very often. The local cattle feed merchant, mobile hardware fellow came about every two weeks, or monthly. Newspapers (and comics etc) were left at the farm gate (about a quarter mile down the drive) and the coal merchant and cattle feed delivery men nearly always had a cuppa at delivery times.

Oh, and the prison worker often walked to and from the farm, if he was not picked up at the gate house of the local nick. Guns stood in the hallway, including the rifle.

Yep, days when life was a little less frantic than nowadays. Telephone number had two digits and you spoke to an operator for anything other than local exchange numbers.

Even back in the war days, the hard working German POW walked the fields with a gun (before my time). No shortage of bunnies for the stew pot, on the farm and he had no intention of escaping - he was 'safe'.

We knew we should stand behind the cutter bar while oiling the knife/fingers on the mowing machine, etc. We knew which cows were OK to hand milk or ride on their backs, to keep away from the sows after farrowing - and so on....

My parents were poor compared to many...agricultural wages were very low. We lived miles away from anywhere. At the weekend and in the evenings we helped my parents do what needed to be done. Jobs were all about helping someone else out...not expecting money for it. A bag of veg...a few biscuits...or just thanks...at the most...when I got older we moved into a village...I used to babysit...and got paid for it. I felt rich.

We lived in a community where there were predominantly miners, steelworkers and the local Dale Brown's glassworkers ... we lived with the railway at the bottom of our garden over a fence of old sleepers onto the embankment and the canal the other side of a clinker road at the front of the house. The bargees used to come up the canal about once a week with sand to the glassworks and I used to get a trip on the barge up through two locks - and then walk a mile back om the towpath - from about 5 years old. Perfectly safe ! The bargees all knew me and used to make sure I told my mum I was on the canal ..

The other thing that I remember was walking down the middle of the main road on a Sunday to church - no traffic, not even the buses (actually they were trackless trams) ran and no shops open. Everything still seemed to get done though ...Has life improved ? In some ways yes, in others i'ts a more pressured frantic existence and I feel for young people sometimes ... 300 + suicides among youngsters last year ? Scary statistic and you wonder why.

Ah, that golden glow that lights up the past. As Steinbeck wrote " the thighs of women have lost their grip."

Latest posts

Back