Scout bees? Or am i getting excited over nothing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you say soo_O..... these are your words, "adapted", "local", "friendly beekeeper", "bumbles", "cosy hive", all applied pejoratively because maybe you're so amused by @BeeGiner 's way of describing matters.
I have absolutely no contempt or disapproval of anybody’s post in this thread. I just can’t believe some of the content is being put forward as a serious argument.

I'm sorry but that made me chuckle. The idea that bees know they will be collected by a friendly beekeeper to be taken to a cosy hive so abandon the cluster process and all the dancing they do to reach consensus is quite funny.
Maybe you don't know that's what they do in which case my mirth is misplaced.
No no no .... you are missing what really happens ... you see the Bee Fairy Godmother sees a swarm of bees that are looking at moving to an entirely unsuitable location like a hollow tree or a chimney and she takes hold of the chief scout and she says ... follow me girls, I know where there's a real mug of a beekeeper, not far from here, if come with me and sit in the hedge alongside his other bees he will put you in a nice cosy hive, with some nice fresh frames and he will feed you lovely sugary water and when you've had your fill of that ... if you wish - you can bugger off and leave him to it .....and they all lived happily ever after - except for the beekeeper.

Who wondered what he had done wrong ....The fairy and the bee.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 empty hives in my garden, collecting a nuc for one in June. I used some swarm wipes on the hives a few weeks ago just in case a passing scout bee checked them out (wishful thinking but you never know!)
Anyway, this week the weather has warmed up in the afternoons and I came home to find 20-30 bees checking out one of the empty hives, going in & out through the entrance etc. I'm just wondering if they're checking the hives out for a swarm? Is this a likely possibility at all? They've been here for 3 days now, just don't want to get my hopes up!
Thanks guys!
Jules

Any sign of a swarm or still just lots of scouts?

No no no .... you are missing what really happens ... you see the Bee Fairy Godmother sees a swarm of bees that are looking at moving to an entirely unsuitable location like a hollow tree or a chimney and she takes hold of the chief scout and she says ... follow me girls, I know where there's a real mug of a beekeeper, not far from here, if come with me and sit in the hedge alongside his other bees he will put you in a nice cosy hive, with some nice fresh frames and he will feed you lovely sugary water and when you've had your fill of that ... if you wish - you can bugger off and leave him to it .....and they all lived happily ever after - except for the beekeeper.

Who wondered what he had done wrong ....View attachment 26430
There isn't any such thing as the Bee Fairy Godmother. Please supply sound scientific support.

Sonotube is an american brand, I used these:

https://www.defendapack.com/Postal_Tubes_Cardboard_Poster_mailing_tubes
They are pretty sturdy but I've painted with an exterior paint and they've not gone soggy (yet).
I’ve struggled up to now as to why people couldn’t tell if they were seeing scouting activity or a moved in swarm around bait hives.
Up to now my scouting activity has been pretty steady but low key with a constant presence of 2-3 bees. I’ve noticed the behaviour has changed in the last week with more time spent in the tube and around the entrance when previously there was much more interest in the environs. Today on return from the office (about 18.00) activity has jumped - 30 or 50 bees in and around the entrance; so yes I wonder if they’ve moved in during the eclipse. 🤪
No pollen but what looks like quite a lot of guard type behaviour with trophallaxis going on. I’m torn between hoping I’ve caught one and disappointment at having missed the show. I’ve attached a video.
My guess it’s still scouting but interested in the view of the hive mind.

Attachments

• IMG_5160.MOV
    25.5 MB
  • IMG_5160.MOV
    25.5 MB
Last edited:
Knocked on the tube wall last night - nothing. They are back this morning so fingers crossed.

Oh my. At 15.30 this:

Just an amazing experience. Their intended position is about 50 meters down the garden -will I be ok to hive them their in the morning or will they be orientated already?

Last edited:
Oh my. At 15.30 this:

Just an amazing experience. Their intended position is about 50 meters down the garden -will I be ok to hive them their in the morning or will they be orientated already?

I know you were excited but all the swinging about with the camera made me feel quite seasick🤣

I know you were excited but all the swinging about with the camera made me feel quite seasick🤣
I would have moved them down at night. That’s the downside of your bait hive. They can’t really live in it for a couple of days. You will get some early foragers returning

I would have moved them down at night. That’s the downside of your bait hive. They can’t really live in it for a couple of days. You will get some early foragers returning
‘cos they’ll be going in a top bar hive I think I’d have always have to move them sharpish. I guess the worry is I disturb them before they’re settled and they head off somewhere else. Don’t think I have an option though - it’ll be a right mess in there if I leave them. Wouldn’t leaving them a few days make the returning foragers issue worse?
BIAB

Last edited:
‘cos they’ll be going in a top bar hive I think I’d have always have to live the sharpish. I guess the worry is I disturb them before they’re settled and they head off somewhere else. Don’t think I have an option though - it’ll be a right mess in there if I leave them. Wouldn’t leaving them a few days make the returning foragers issue worse?
BIAB
Can you get a frame of brood in the new hive with them? That should hold them.

‘Wouldn’t leaving them a few days make the returning foragers issue worse?
BIAB
Yes which is why my bait hives are liveable in and I move them the night they are occupied.
I didn’t realise they were going in a top bar so the frame of brood is a good idea.
Project for winter is a mini top bar bait hive?

Oh my. At 15.30 this:

Brilliant, congrats! Glad you were at home and got to see the show.

I hope it comes up trumps for you still Do224.
I think we've all got our fingers crossed for Do224 - To come so close must be gutting! Shame I'm not nearer Cumbria or I'd have given him one of the swarms that turned up for me. He deserves it for persistence if nothing else! :D

Back