Sanity Check BS Honeybees nuc + Maisemore Brood chambers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint666

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I would like to try double brooding my nuc's , my current setup is a BS honeybees 14 by 12 nuc, which im aware is a top bee space nuc , im planning on adding a Maisemore 6 frame brood chamber to it and then a BS honeybees 14 by12 Eke on top of that , can somebody sanity check this for me ?

Now i know that Maisemore boxs are bottom bee space but would the bs eke used on top of the maisemore brood chamber take up the space and make the whole setup top bee space so i wouldnt end up with a double bee space in the middle between the original 14by 12 nuc and the extension on top?

sorry if thats not very clear i'd post a photo and check it myself but ive not got the brood chamber yet so i cant

cheers

Andy

Based on what you've said above as I'm not going outside to check, you'll end up with a double bee space between the original 14*12 and the Maisemore box, then top space on top of the BS eke. It will be fine. Might have some brace comb in double bee space gap but that's not the end of the world.

Based on what you've said above as I'm not going outside to check, you'll end up with a double bee space between the original 14*12 and the Maisemore box, then top space on top of the BS eke. It will be fine. Might have some brace comb in double bee space gap but that's not the end of the world.
see thats what i origionally thought

But if the bee space is decided by the location of the rails that the frames rest on and if i put the maisemore brood box straight on topof my origional 14 by 12 nuc then i add a bs 14 by 12 eke on second then wouldnt the beespace become top bee space as the rails in eke are spaced for top bee space and the rails in the maisemore box are not being used at all , the eke rests on teh rim of the brood chamber so the rails are unused ,

this is why its messing with my head :) i think i just need to stop thinking about it and buy one

i know that Maisemore boxs are bottom bee space but would the bs eke used on top of the maisemore brood chamber take up the space and make the whole setup top bee space
the 14x12 eke is designed to convert a deep BBS brood box to TBS, it may give a little extra space below the frames in an extension brood chamber

the 14x12 eke is designed to convert a deep BBS brood box to TBS, it may give a little extra space below the frames in an extension brood chamber
thankyou thats what ive been looking for , and i might have tracked down some good used extension chambers , today is turning into a good day

well today i managed to get my hands on a couple of brood chambers and success, using the maisemore chambers and the ekes from bs homeybees i now have 2 double brood 14 by 12 nucs that are top bee space no double bee space between them which is good , to grow on my splits in and possible over winter a split too. , i do need to carve a little filler piece for between the body and the eke but that wont take long to do .

Latest posts

Back