Runny honey/crystallisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’m always curious when I see local honey for sale in the village shops etc. around here. There’s always, without fail, a runny honey which never seems to crystallise…even at this time of year when it is clearly last season’s. My honey from last year has all crystallised.

As an experiment, I warmed a jar in the microwave about a week ago and it reverted to being clear and runny. I’m curious to know if (a) it will now stay runny permanently? (b) if sellers are routinely warming their honey prior to sale to keep it runny?…seems unlikely

sellers are routinely warming their honey prior to sale to keep it runny?…seems unlikely
a lot depends on turnover - if the shop has a regular trade in honey, they must be topping up their stocks from their supplier, even small scale sellers/suppliers are familiar with honey warming cabinets now, so they top up their stocks by taking a 30lb bucket from their stores, warming it through to liquefy it, then bottling it up to supply their retailers.

And will it stay runny indefinitely after it’s been warmed?

And will it stay runny indefinitely after it’s been warmed?
Supply in smaller batches and it's usually sold and off the shelves long before it begins to granulate. A granulation label like Phil has mentioned gives explanation for any customer who is not aware.

Back