rounded edges

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
what is the most effective way people have found for repairing rounded edges on cedar boxes

clearly where hive tools have levered boxes apart, i have a few where i use silver tape in summer to stop wasps etc but want to fix

tried a plate with wood filler and didnt really work....

I've had to fix a few of my very old boxes where the corners have rounded off. Usually I just cut out the affected area and glue/pin in a piece of hardwoord in its place.

James
Thats what I do - the woodworking taught in school still comes in handy.

That's the beauty of the modern day Lyson box's , thye have the hardened plastic top and bot edges.

For older poly hold the repair bracket with thin nose pliers and apply heat to the bracket , then gently lay & press it into the poly for a level fit.

I've had to fix a few of my very old boxes where the corners have rounded off. Usually I just cut out the affected area and glue/pin in a piece of hardwoord in its place.

James
If you screw down into the tenons instead of following the 'correct' method usually taught of nailing through the end-grain, the screw heads stop the corners wearing too muchscrew 1.jpgscrew 2.jpgscrew 3.jpgscrew 4.jpgscrew 5.jpg

If you screw down into the tenons instead of following the 'correct' method usually taught of nailing through the end-grain, the screw heads stop the corners wearing too much

I have newer boxes with which I am experimenting doing just that. Nailing through the end-grain has always seemed a bit of an odd idea to me.

James

Thats what I do - the woodworking taught in school still comes in handy.
Lucky you. I still resent being made to do "Domestic Science" whilst the lads learnt useful stuff. Thank goodness my dad taught me a bit of basic carpentry but I look back at all that making rockbuns and learning cross stitch and ask why NONE of us questioned anything. I'll take that screw v nail tip on board. Thank-you.

Lucky you. I still resent being made to do "Domestic Science" whilst the lads learnt useful stuff. Thank goodness my dad taught me a bit of basic carpentry but I look back at all that making rockbuns and learning cross stitch and ask why NONE of us questioned anything. I'll take that screw v nail tip on board. Thank-you.
Worth mentioning - drill a pilot hole for the screw to avoid splitting the wood, and if the wood is hard it helps to use a countersink as well . ☺️

I still resent being made to do "Domestic Science" whilst the lads learnt useful stuff. Thank goodness my dad taught me a bit of basic carpentry but I look back at all that making rockbuns and learning cross stitch and ask why NONE of us questioned anything
we all did both in our school, I flew through needlework as my grandmother (a tailor) had ensured I had more than the basic sewing skills years before. And cookery as my father (who readily confessed that he even struggled to boil an egg - his mother was definitely from the old school farming and mining mindset of domestic duties) made sure my mother and my grandmother (both ace cooks) got both of us boys cooking from an early age.

I was at a boys' grammar school. I was in the top stream, so for consecutive years we were allocated to do Art and I learnt nothing. The more fortunate lower stream did wood and metal work - envy.

Latest posts

Back