Rose OSB Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning to run the same sort of system but using Lanstroth medium poly supers.

2 supers giving me around 80k cells with the provision of adding another if need be :)

Last edited:
thanks, but its not the plans I wanted, on his website it says patent applied for and I want(ed) to see the patent application in detail - just curious.

So am I. After examining the plans and looking at the presentation on the website I fail to see anything novel or unique in the 'one size box' and wonder how a patent could ever be secured on it.

Hiya I am new on here, this is my first year as a bee keeper and I have two rose hives,
just been reading this thread, what I have found is the rose hive is very easy to use so far the bees seem to be very happy, and gave me lots of honey

It just made a lot of censes to me to have the same size box, and to give the queen all the room she needs and so far I am very happy with my hive

But saying all that I do not have any other experience of any other hive and as a beginner the rose hive is simple and very easy to make and use, so what do you what from a hive
I hope to have some nuc s this year to sell on to other rose hive beginners,
I say to all new bee keepers go for it
From little acorn s

Why is everyone knocking the Rose Hive?

If you have had personal experience of using these hives then your comments would be valid, but you have not so therefore I find your comments extremely biased and not worth the paper its printed on.

Thank you

it's on a 'pooter screen, not paper, surely??
:hat:

That sounds interesting PH, do you have any references to who in the Stewerton area of Scotland invented the first movable frame hive? I like the idea that such a hive was invented on this side of the pond first :)
quote "in 1851, Dzierzon in Germany, and Langstroth in America, two of the most skillful apiarians of the present day, simultaneously designes or invented the bar-frame hive" Quote.
Encyclopaedia brittanica, 9th edition, 1885 (I got the complete set)

Just wanted to drop a post in here for the sake of discussion not argument please check out the link for Tims hive and read it make your own choice, if the frames are different and "special" so be it they may prove more costly in the long run do some maths on it, but then what Tim promotes seems to make sense to me and not having bees or experience means my judgement may lack experience but has no pre conceived ideas either.

What would be wrong with using all shallow supers for brood and honey making them interchancable and lighter if you need to move your brood frames around or mix brood and honey in a nuc?

One comment I would make, is it says on your website frames are heavier why dont you use smaller frames then?

Patrick

quote "in 1851, Dzierzon in Germany, and Langstroth in America, two of the most skillful apiarians of the present day, simultaneously designes or invented the bar-frame hive" Quote.
Encyclopaedia brittanica, 9th edition, 1885 (I got the complete set)

Thanks for the information Tony, good to have an accurate historical perspective. :cheers2:

What would be wrong with using all shallow supers for brood and honey making them interchangeable and lighter if you need to move your brood frames around or mix brood and honey in a nuc?

One comment I would make, is it says on your website frames are heavier why dont you use smaller frames then?

Patrick
Moving the frames from one box to another, or around the hive is not as easy as you might first think, with any hive system. While it can sometimes be done, there is always the problem the bees do not make the wax to a consistent shape. In other words, you will find moving a frame to another location, risks violating the "bee space".

If you make the frames any smaller, then you might as well use National supers. But this would require a lot of supers for the brood area and drive you and the bees crazy inspecting so many frames!

Moving the frames from one box to another, or around the hive is not as easy as you might first think, with any hive system. While it can sometimes be done, there is always the problem the bees do not make the wax to a consistent shape. In other words, you will find moving a frame to another location, risks violating the "bee space".

quite right - everyone I've met has wider spacing in the super than brood box
unless they're drawing out foundation in the super

Ive looked at the rose system and came very close to buy it. After some thought i decided not to. For the following reasons:

1, lefting the boxes from the hive when full of honey, i have trouble with supers and im 30 years young

2, extraction, the only way i can see to extract it will be 4 frames at a time tho the tranglagur ( spelling) with will not suit my needs.

Just my opinion on these hives, and they dont suit me.
TB

hadnt thought about extracting , most uk made extractors will only take deep frames(or semi deep osb) tangentaly - another dissadvantage for some

I also enquired whether these larger frames would easily fit in my small radial extractor. I did not receive a positive reply. I am guessing they might, but that might be an added expense. I don't like guessing either.

That was me in message #37.

I wasn't that worried to even bother to get the extractor out to check. No reply, no problem. No good for me. So I am with Thurrock Bees on this one.

Regards, RAB

From #41

"using Lanstroth medium poly supers"

So I can use my existing extractor :)

On the weight issue I was using Dadent supers before and I actually injured myself lifting them, I think there for a 2+ man setup only.

If these 10 frame mediums prove too heavy, there's always the option to cut them down to 8 frame.

Good for you Fenbee, I have watched Tims videos and I for one am looking at purchasing one. Maybe they wont be for me but I'm going to give it a good go. I like the idea of all the boxes being interchangeable. I am one of the 20,000 users of the national with 6 hives, but I also intend trying the Top bar. Happy bee keeping everyone. And keep up the videos Tim Rowe. Great.

Good for you Fenbee, I have watched Tims videos and I for one am looking at purchasing one. Maybe they wont be for me but I'm going to give it a good go. I like the idea of all the boxes being interchangeable. I am one of the 20,000 users of the national with 6 hives, but I also intend trying the Top bar. Happy bee keeping everyone. And keep up the videos Tim Rowe. Great.

Resurrection of a 2010 thread? :spy:

Good for you Fenbee,

Not that good, or wasted comment. He is unlikely to see it. Not been on the forum for about 2 1/2 years!

Latest posts

Back