Rose method in National brood boxes?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornishcreamtea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Apart from the weight of full supers, what would be the disadvantages of adopting the Rose method using National brood boxes?

None really, I use double brood and supers above, Its just the time it takes the bees to fill them in the first place, After they have been extracted the first time they soon fill them.

Rose method...no excluder and same size frames in all boxes. Idea is not worth of "method". In late summer you may add the excluder that you may extract the honry frames easily.

To 1 hive owner no excluder style is better because she can see, how bees' natural instincts play.

Many professional beekeepers in Finland use mere L mediums in their hives.
Perhaps not surprising that my hives come from Finland then! Do you recommend overwintering on two or three of those boxes? I live in the South of England so the winter would be mild compared to yours, but can be quite wet.

Hang on, please, gents! I don't have as much knowledge as you! Is Finman in favour or not - I can't tell? And please don't go off on a Langstroth tangent - open another thread if you like. Let's try to keep to my original questions pleeeeeease!

Perhaps not surprising that my hives come from Finland then! Do you recommend overwintering on two or three of those boxes? I live in the South of England so the winter would be mild compared to yours, but can be quite wet.

Guys here keep 3 medium boxes for brood first, and in near the end yield period they limit laying to 2 mediums. So bees over winter with 2 mediums. That is a way they can harvest all honey off. After final harvesting they start to feed hives.

In spring they put a third box back with foundations. It reduces early swarming.

That is one style...

Wet winter...if there are extra space in beehive, the winter food sucks moisture and frames are easy to take mold. Dense beecover keeps the hive warm and keep the stores dry. (relative moisture)

Guys here keep 3 medium boxes for brood first, and in near the end yield period they limit laying to 2 mediums. So bees over winter with 2 mediums. That is a way they can harvest all honey off. After final harvesting they start to feed hives.

In spring they put a third box back with foundations. It reduces early swarming.

That is one style...

Wet winter...if there are extra space in beehive, the winter food sucks moisture and frames are easy to take mold. Dense beecover keeps the hive warm and keep the stores dry. (relative moisture)
OK thanks very much will do!

Hang on, please, gents! I don't have as much knowledge as you! Is Finman in favour or not - I can't tell? And please don't go off on a Langstroth tangent - open another thread if you like. Let's try to keep to my original questions pleeeeeease!

We are in your original thread. Nothing odd in it.
It is same what name boxes you use. It goes well.
Medium is so called 2/3 Langstroth. Frame is 14 cm high.

"Rose" will not save your beehives. It has nothing new in it compared to usual beekeeping.

Last edited:

We are in your original thread. Nothing odd in it.
It is same what name boxes you use. It goes well.
Medium is so called 2/3 Langstroth. Frame is 14 cm high.

"Rose" will not save your beehives. It has nothing new in it compared to usual beekeeping.
Sorry if it annoyed you, but it's all about the same concept - same size box beekeeping. Rose just made his own hives to use it with, he didn't invent it. Whether it's Rose Hives, National, Medium Langstroth or whatever, it's the same thing.

Nothing odd in it.

Last edited:
Back