Robbing for how long

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Yesterday morning I gave a nuc in front garden some syrup ,
By lunchtime it was being robbed mercilessly by bees from a hive in the back garden,

Despite heavy rain it was dark befor robbers all when home and I was able to move nuc to another location around the side of the house (it’s a big house) I also faced it in the opposite direction and close to a bush and wall so any foragers will reorientate

today noon there are still lots of bees arriving at the original nuc location looking for an easy feed.
And jugeing by the bee activity around the nuc I’m not convinced the move has been sucsesfull

By moving you’ve also removed the older flyers and guard bees. It’s done though remove syrup close down to tiny entrance .

If you move a nuc that is being robbed the bees will search for it.
The only way to stop them searching is to put another nuc in its place with a small amount of food in for them to rob. Once the food is gone they assume the food there is exhausted and won't search for the weaker colony.
If the nuc is really short on food then you can feed it but close the entrance completely. It will be fine in the shade for a few days if not too crowded.
Fondant is less likely to cause robbing than syrup.
Take other precautions like feeding at night and not early in the day when scouts are most active.

If you move a nuc that is being robbed the bees will search for it.
The only way to stop them searching is to put another nuc in its place with a small amount of food in for them to rob. Once the food is gone they assume the food there is exhausted and won't search for the weaker hive.
Even a cardboard box in the original site with a bit of old comb inside filled with syrup is enough to fool them once they have robbed it out. A small hole for an entrance to the cardboard box...24 hours they usually lose interest. But if you move the original nuc you must move it at night and close then up for a few hours or the flyers will return to the original site...3 feet or 3 mile rule usually but I've got away with putting the nuc in the apiary sitting on top of a strong hive with the entrance facing the opposite way to the hive it is on top of... you need to track which hive is doing the robbing and not choose that one as the one ti site the nuc in top of !

Latest posts

Back