'Roaring' in the apidea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenviewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This year I've made up 3 apidea - 2 first time round and 1 yesterday.
I kept the first 2 in the cool for 2 days, then added the QCs, 1 more day n the cool then put the apidea out in the main apiary. I had noticed that the apidea seemed to be constantly 'roaring' when in the cool which was different to how last year's apidea had behaved, and after placing out in the apidea and opening them up both had absconded within days.
The apidea I made up yesterday - added ripe QC from the same hive as the nurse bees, within an hour - is also doing this roaring.
Any comments on this behaviour?

They all do it, only one of 20 has absconded in the last 2 years so I can't imagine there's a connection.

This year I've made up 3 apidea - 2 first time round and 1 yesterday.
I kept the first 2 in the cool for 2 days, then added the QCs, 1 more day n the cool then put the apidea out in the main apiary. I had noticed that the apidea seemed to be constantly 'roaring' when in the cool which was different to how last year's apidea had behaved, and after placing out in the apidea and opening them up both had absconded within days.
The apidea I made up yesterday - added ripe QC from the same hive as the nurse bees, within an hour - is also doing this roaring.
Any comments on this behaviour?
Hi
After adding a 10 day old QC from grafting or a virgin Q I keep the apidea inside for 4 days (daily water spray) by which time the Q has emerged and all should be calm then put them out in the evening and open the entrance.

Latest posts

Back