River Cottage "natural beekeeping"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been a follower of Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall since "A Cook on the Wild Side" (shockingly that was over twenty-five years ago) and was interested to see that he's back on Monday evening with a new series "River Cottage Reunited" (More 4, 9pm I think).

The blurb for the first programme suggests that one of the things he's up to is "natural beekeeping". Not sure what context they're using that term in, but it will be interesting to find out. Hopefully he's just talking about keeping bees in as natural a situation as he can reasonably manage whilst still being able to manage them appropriately for disease control and suchlike, but we shall see...

James

I believe the feedback from Facebook / twitter ( I don't use these so second hand info) was that he was going to try the new beehive on a stick design so definitely non interventional beekeeping

That could be rather disappointing. Still, I shall give him the benefit of the doubt until such time as the situation is clear.

James

His beehive is essential a hollow log with a roof and removable floor. His Instagram has a few videos of it.

Well I suppose it’s the equivalent of a wild colony, which do exist. He has the space to replicate that and probably no neighbours nearby when they swarm. However, if people in urban areas start doing the same having seen this, issues will arise. He also might end up with swarms locating into his chimney at some point and decide against the idea, but until then I think it’s providing a fairly natural environment for a swarm to locate into. I actually think this type of hive could be well utilised by the forestry commission in forests and parks.

Many of us come into beekeeping with some notion of keeping bees as near to their 'natural' environment as possible - there's nothing wrong with that but usually reality kicks in and you come to realise that keeping bees is best done in a more traditional manner although it is possible (as I do) to maintain a regime that allows the bees, to a great extent, to behave much as a colony would in their natural environment.

It's not that easy, sadly, and I worry when people just take on a colony of bees and basically leave them to get on with it ...

There is a bit of a market for suspending hollow logs from trees for pollinating on arable farms. Probably quite a good money spinner if you have a chainsaw. It's completely hands off.

Not always coupled with increasing forage availability though.

I've been a follower of Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall since "A Cook on the Wild Side" (shockingly that was over twenty-five years ago) and was interested to see that he's back on Monday evening with a new series "River Cottage Reunited" (More 4, 9pm I think).

The blurb for the first programme suggests that one of the things he's up to is "natural beekeeping". Not sure what context they're using that term in, but it will be interesting to find out. Hopefully he's just talking about keeping bees in as natural a situation as he can reasonably manage whilst still being able to manage them appropriately for disease control and suchlike, but we shall see...

James
That'll be interesting

There is a bit of a market for suspending hollow logs from trees for pollinating on arable farms. Probably quite a good money spinner if you have a chainsaw. It's completely hands off.

Not always coupled with increasing forage availability though.
I think that I may 'get a wittling!' :laughing-smiley-014

There s nothing "natural" about keeping stinging insects.
The people who keep such insects are clearly an aberration.

It’s a ‘rocket hive’ like the link below. Can’t see it’s any different to where swarms might move to in the wild. Bee-Centred Beekeeping – Bee Kind Hives

Such fairytale:

"Natural bees do not have diseases or varroa mites... "

... Honeybee diseases existed before a human started to walk on globe.

A human is not only enemy of the bees. Even another bee nests attack on each other and try to rob each others stores.

When a colony produces 2 swarms each year, it is 300% plus. Each year about same amount of colonies will die in nature. Otherwise bee colonies would fill the globe.

Honey is not a gift to human. It is honey bees winter food, that bees can over winter with a huge gang. As said, honeybee had its styles before a human existed on globe.

It is extremeny rare in hymenoptera that some insect collect food stores. Some of Apis species move to abother districts to avoid starving as a colony.

Last edited:
I like the beekind hives guy. I was interested in his Golden Hive but it's out of stock until next year.

The log hive on stilts is about £750 so that prices a lot of people out the market.

I like the beekind hives guy. I was interested in his Golden Hive but it's out of stock until next year.

The log hive on stilts is about £750 so that prices a lot of people out the market.

I have son with chainsaw and some logs

I'm sure we can knock up some stilts

Latest posts

Back