Requeening hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got my bees july this year they were in a old hive that was falling 2 bits we had 2 completly destroy hive 2 get them out and put in my new hive. Most days it seemd all they wanted 2 do was sting me. The beekeeper that helped me said 2 reqeen this year. The question is when and how is the best time 2 reqeen

What type of bee are you going to re Queen with ?

I got my bees july this year they were in a old hive that was falling 2 bits we had 2 completly destroy hive 2 get them out and put in my new hive. Most days it seemd all they wanted 2 do was sting me. The beekeeper that helped me said 2 reqeen this year. The question is when and how is the best time 2 reqeen

If you're looking for an answer as to when, rather than what type of bee to go for, then the answer is early (i.e April) when the receiving colony will be easier to handle.

However, unless you have a spare Queen to hand then re-Queening in April usually means that you are reliant upon buying in an imported Queen. The alternative, of course, is that you make enquiries and try and obtain a reliable, local Queen from a breeder as early on in the season as you can.

One thats a bit more docile than mine.seriously though i dont know i dont know what type these are ???

Im buying 2 nucs this yr ones coming from someone local so best bets probably see if he will sell me one and help reqeen .only lives 8 mile away

Toby,

You could re-queen in August after the main flow has finished.

Ben P

400 posts. Oh dear...

Last edited:
Will probably end up doing that ben would like a little bit of honey this year ile see what happens through year i dont know how old the queen is anyway. There mignt be a new daughter anyway on first inspection

Will probably end up doing that ben would like a little bit of honey this year ile see what happens through year i dont know how old the queen is anyway. There mignt be a new daughter anyway on first inspection

why should re-queening mean less honey

obtain a queen,as early as possible then requeen in to a hive after splitting off the old queen into a NUC with two frames of brood,bees and frames of comb/foundation

if the re queen takes, then see how she lays, the if ok then kill the old queen and re combine above a QE until brood hatches, recycle any honey in the nuc back to the bees

only proviso is if they are carnies suggest you re queen a nuc first then use that to requeen the main hive

if all go right you should have more honey

Latest posts

Back