Rent for out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
My question is very simple - what do you consider to be a fair rent to pay to a farmer to site three hives in a corner of a field?

We used to let someone have bees on our land. The land was owned by 7 brothers and sisters, and the payment was 7 jars of honey. The beekeeper had upto 5 hives on that bit of land.

I've never paid rent, it's normally the other way round farms pay you as the bees increase there yield.

I've never paid rent, it's normally the other way round farms pay you as the bees increase there yield.

I suppose it's horses for courses really

is the location secure, is there good forage around, what does he grow if anything, what chemicals does he spray, is it easy access for yourselves

if all these answers are to your liking, then going on rough honey prices, that's only £72 per year, which may seem steep, but if you really want them out of your garden, and this place ticks all the boxes, then surely it's a good deal TO YOU

Being a farmers son myself you have to understand how they think! I would explain that honey harvest - like their harvest - is not guaranteed and weather dependent. It's amazing how many people don't realise. I would say that 2 jars a hive is about right but if it's a good site then it may be worth it. Make sure access is good e.g you don't have to drive through livestock because they're a pain or suddenly you won't have livestock appear in the field. I've found that often people think they can be shifted a few feet so again ask plenty of questions before shifting them

It would actually be in a solar farm and amongst the solar panels or at the side of the site and the access is supposed to be very good. We are meeting the farmer tomorrow to have a look at the site. As my post yesterday about having to move to an out apiary because our next door neighbour had a severe anaphylactic reaction to a sting stated we have to move our bees as quickly as we can. It appears to be a very good site and there are already some other hives on the farm. It might be a high rent but if it suits us we are only too glad to pay it.

Good luck hope it works out for you. They do graze sheep round solar farms so make sure they're aware sheep can push hives over, particularly in winter. Although a couple of hurdles for protection should do the job.

Buy 12 jars from Tesco's and put it in your own jars, they won't be asking for any more.
My new landlady asked for nothing and was only to glad to have bees on her land but was interested in any spare wax to make saddle soap so any brace comb I get I leave it on her door step and I have a few jars ready to give her tomorrow

It would actually be in a solar farm and amongst the solar panels or at the side of the site and the access is supposed to be very good. We are meeting the farmer tomorrow to have a look at the site. As my post yesterday about having to move to an out apiary because our next door neighbour had a severe anaphylactic reaction to a sting stated we have to move our bees as quickly as we can. It appears to be a very good site and there are already some other hives on the farm. It might be a high rent but if it suits us we are only too glad to pay it.

A deal is a deal, fair exchange is no robbery etc etc

Your happy with the cost So why ask?

Any ideas what a pain in the asp it is to have someone else require access to your property?

that's not a bad deal, I have a deal currently being sorted that I can have unlimited amount of hives on as many sites on their land, plus '' storage'' for 5% of my crop, I currently have 17 hives, if I gave them 50 jars a year, that adds up to £175 ish per year for free access, cheap ( very cheap) food from the fields and storage. I think that is a good deal

Back