Rent for out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a amazing the different views on this. We have spoken to a lot of the members of our local association and some think a jar a month is a fair price to pay and others shake their heads and have a sharp indrawn breath and say that is far too much. We are extremely happy with the site so we are willing to pay the jar a month rental.

I tell them it can increase their yield and most are happy with that but also give them a jar or two of honey per hive.
One farmer told me he had the best yield ever off his rape last year and I pointed out the bees.

Most farmers are loaded anyway....

If you are renting the whole field so it won't be used for anything else it's fair to pay rent of some description.

However, having bees will only benefit the land through pollination (especially for crops), and is not costing anything to host if there is no disruption caused.

So it depends on the mindset of the landowner whether they see it as a contribution towards the environment, or another opportunity for gain.

A jar per hive as a thank you is fair and I think a landowner asking for more is a chancer.

:yeahthat:

When I lived on my small holding in Sth Wales I would rent out a field for sheep grazing and I got a lot less in payment than a jar of honey per month.

I didn't grumble I was being paid the going rate.

By and large I am not asked for payment, perhaps the landowners dont desire to create a legal contract however I always offer payment of a jar per hive per year. Its the going rate, has been for a long time. All my landowners are happy with the deal as its a reciprocal arrangement, they benefit from increased yields and a little honey and I have access to crops etc for my share.

I don't remember a farmer ever asking for rent. But I do give them honey anyway. I don't keep a tally but it probably averages a jar per hive per year.
I do have a few apiaries I wouldn't hesitate to pay hard cash for if it came to it.

I don't remember a farmer ever asking for rent. But I do give them honey anyway. I don't keep a tally but it probably averages a jar per hive per year.
I do have a few apiaries I wouldn't hesitate to pay hard cash for if it came to it.

:iagree: I have apiaries on 2 farms. Both farmers never asked me for rent, it was my suggestion to give them 1lb per hive, which they are very happy with. One of the farmers had tried for a couple of years to get a beekeeper on his land. He used to have a beekeeper there before, until the beek retired. I find that they are very willing to show you around. I had one aggressive hive near to a country lane that caused a small nuisance, the farmer bent over backwards to offer me alternative sites. Also on both sites I am able to expand if I want.

Told the farmer today that I had some nice cut comb and a couple of jars for him. His reply......

" I don't want anything Steve, I told you before I'm just happy to see the bees. I love everything about nature."

Quite humbling, he's such a lovely, helpful man and I consider myself very fortunate.

At the end of the day as long as you are happy with the rent wether it be £500 a month or free its what it's worth to you that matters.

Latest posts

Back