Removal from a trunk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
60696657_630110087455820_9141134468382195712_n.jpg

A colleague from work told me of a colony of bees inside a tree trunk on an out farm that they have which he would like removed; so he sent me this picture and a video; of which it appears to be a fairly strong hive.

The entrance is quite large however I don't think I'll be able to reach in and grab the comb.

What would be the best thing, chainsaw and hatchet and cut them out?

I have BS honey bees double nucs, was thinking if I could block around the trunk entrance and pipe to the rear entrance of the nuc and entice the queen somehow into the nuc?

Any thoughts/advice?

Last edited:
Hi
I did this last month with help from another beekeeper.

We had a man with a chainsaw that cut about a meter each side of the entrance hole.
The trunk was then cut horizontally around and crowbarred open.
We then took the combs out and attached them to elastic bands around the brood frames.
We left them over night and took them away to their new home the next morning
A month later they are so happy and the nicest bees.

It was a great experience

Good luck!!

Hi
I did this last month with help from another beekeeper.

We had a man with a chainsaw that cut about a meter each side of the entrance hole.
The trunk was then cut horizontally around and crowbarred open.
We then took the combs out and attached them to elastic bands around the brood frames.
We left them over night and took them away to their new home the next morning
A month later they are so happy and the nicest bees.

It was a great experience

Good luck!!

Yes I was involved with the cut out it was quick and easy provided the guy with the chainsaw knows what he's doing.
Coaxing them out as you suggest is possible as I carried out a similar exercise from a duct in a wall but it takes a very long time and in the end the queen starved.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Back