Rejuvenating rock-hard fondant.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Wisely or otherwise I decided to give a couple of my lightest colonies some fondant today. However the bakers' fondant purchased a year ago was rock hard.
Not knowing what to do I put it in the microwave (approx 1 minute per kilo at full strength). Eureka! - it came out lovely and soft so that I could roll it into patties to fit a shallow eke.
Apologies for wasting your time reading this if I'm the only beek who is ignorant of this method

Wisely or otherwise I decided to give a couple of my lightest colonies some fondant today. However the bakers' fondant purchased a year ago was rock hard.
Not knowing what to do I put it in the microwave (approx 1 minute per kilo at full strength). Eureka! - it came out lovely and soft so that I could roll it into patties to fit a shallow eke.
Apologies for wasting your time reading this if I'm the only beek who is ignorant of this method

It has been advised as a method of softening fondant on here several times over the years, but it does no harm to mention it again, for those who are new to the forum.

Does is smell nice when you heat it?

I use to like the smell of warm marzipan.

It has been advised as a method of softening fondant on here several times over the years, but it does no harm to mention it again, for those who are new to the forum.

Does it remain soft after microwaving, if I then wrap it in waxed paper? Or, does it get hard again after it cools?

I just leave mine in a cool damp place for a while - soon gets soft again (just don't leave it there too long

Does it remain soft after microwaving, if I then wrap it in waxed paper? Or, does it get hard again after it cools?

Waxed paper would probably let it dry out, probably better to seal it in a polythene bag or a plastic container.

I suspect it goes hard again but I put my patties on the hives while still warm, directly on the frames, within a polythene bag with big holes cut into the underside.

I suspect it goes hard again but I put my patties on the hives while still warm, directly on the frames, within a polythene bag with big holes cut into the underside.
Update: I made two spare patties and they are now rock hard again

Back