• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Regional Honey Wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with GBH, it is VERY poor form to publish a home address on open forum, broandy trying to show how clever he is should be relegated to the playground. Perhaps some other "clever" type should publish broandy's home address!

And post my web site with my address on :lurk5:

SKyHook, not sure, but if you are selling honey/trading etc you have to give you full address legally anyway - website and jars etc.

JD

I think the point is that it is the OP's decision where to publish his address, not someone else that is unconnected ;)

I think the point is that it is the OP's decision where to publish his address, not someone else that is unconnected ;)

When you have a web site on the internet all your info is on google anyway, but when a website does not include its address and phone number I would not do any dealings with it. ( would you ) when you do a deal and then give the client your address they know where your hives are anyway hummmmm ( I smell a rat )

Comments please

Sorry admin If I am upsetting the forum not meaning to

Regards
Eric the horrible

I'm sure anyone with any decency would appreciate that no one would want the address where their family lives (and where their apiary is) needlessly published on a beekeeping forum just because one person comments that they find it unusual that the address isn't on the website.

I'm a sole trader trying to make a living running a business from home and it's MY decision whether I put MY home on MY website or on this forum.

Broandy is a bit of a stirrer if the truth be told, however The REGULATIONS are clear that a business website requires your name and address

Please read this link and be aware that as a sole trader, you are a company.

You must also ensure your website complies with part of the Companies Act 2006. From 1 January 2007 all companies in the UK must clearly state the company registration number, place of registration, registered office address and, if the company is being wound up, that fact, on all of their websites.

As a small business, you really should get proper advice about the legalities of e-commerce and not rely on the word of a web designer who should also be conversant with current regulations.

Broandy is a bit of a stirrer if the truth be told, however The REGULATIONS are clear that a business website requires your name and address

Please read this link and be aware that as a sole trader, you are a company.

You must also ensure your website complies with part of the Companies Act 2006. From 1 January 2007 all companies in the UK must clearly state the company registration number, place of registration, registered office address and, if the company is being wound up, that fact, on all of their websites.

As a small business, you really should get proper advice about the legalities of e-commerce and not rely on the word of a web designer who should also be conversant with current regulations.

Thankyou Homazz :blush5:
for rembering me your da best

Hi Hombre

Stirrer lol

I think this input is only for Ltd companys I may be wrong tho please advice lol

all companies in the UK must clearly state the company registration number, place of registration, registered office address and, if the company is being wound up, that fact, on all of their websites.

Andy did state he is a sole trader which does not come under company house

Best regards bud

Hi Broandy,

Not wishing to be your blunt weapon this time around . . . LOL

The Regulations apply to businesses that:

sell goods or services to businesses or consumers on the internet, or by email or Standard Messaging Service (SMS), ie text messages
advertise on the internet, or by email or SMS
convey or store electronic content for customers, or provide access to a communications network

If you check out the link or businesslink .gov.uk the subject of e-commerce and the law is covered and makes it fairly clear that there are a lot of regulations that have been heaped upon us since 2002. Business websites under UK law are required to display the name and address of the business. There are a lot of non-compliant websites out there though.

On a honey jar, your full address isn't required. Merely sufficient address information as is required.

when you do a deal and then give the client your address they know where your hives are anyway hummmmm ( I smell a rat )

Comments please
Regards
Eric the horrible

Yes, you have to give your name and address to suppliers and customers, that's not the same as publishing it on the web. I can easily find Tesco's head office- but they dont keep their goods in an open field. On a forum where there have been many discussions about theft of hives and how to avoid it, and at least one member has installed computer-controlled security systems on his apiaries, I think a little reticence is permissible.

Can I please just state, one last time for the record - I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH PUTTING MY ADDRESS ON MY WEBSITE.
It was on the original version of the website which was live up until about a month ago but it wasn't put on the new website. I'm quite happy for it to be on there and will happily ask my web manager (who happens to be a neighbour and friend also trying to make a living as a sole trader) to alter it.
I'd also like to point out that my address is on all my honey jars, all my leaflets and every bit of correspondence with anyone I deal with. I'm registered on beebase, I'm a member of my local association, my apiary is open to the public and I sell my honey by the side of the road at my house with an honesty box. I have no problem with people knowing my address.
I'm really not quite sure what this unspecified "dodginess" is meant to be - any beekeeper who contacts me gets my address long before I ever get theirs! If I'd put a small ad in beecraft what would be the difference??
I really resent the casual way that some people think it is acceptable to question my integrity when they know nothing about me or my business. And I strongly resent other people taking it upon themselves to put wife's name and my address on an open forum. It's bad form in anyone's book and serves no purpose. Anyone reading this thread will quite likely be put off doing business with me just because of a few conspiracy theorists who know nothing about me. Thanks a lot - you've done the world of beekeeping a great service. You must be very pleased.
So, I've decided that it really isn't worth continuing with the forum (a thought echoed by another regular user who phoned me last night to offer support).
All the best to all those who have offered constructive sensible advice.

I think what may of caused the problem in the first place is that most members join the forum for beekeeping advice.

Every now and then we get someone who joins the forum and makes a first (and often only thread they take part in)post saying "I want to buy" or "I have for sale".

Often a few posts offering support to members goes a long way towards trust being built up.

We are a beekeeping forum for Beekeepers paid for by donations from its members,not a free shop window for buying/selling.

Admin.

It's a shame really as some aspects of it were very nicely done.

Unfortunately being a new beekeeper, Andy might have learned something about bees, but not much about beekeepers. New beeks won't sell their honey to anyone for less than £5 per ounce, and old crusties won't be letting a young upstart make any money off them.

Nevertheless, Andy if you're still there, keep your chin up and keep at it and you might even succeed. Think about a GOOD deal for beekeepers not just a fair one. Any old farm shop will offer the kind of prices you offer, and more, and won't come across all preachy and holy about sustainability (which you don't define), and their margins are a lot more understandable. Don't make statements that imply large scale beekeepers are producing anything different from others, as they are your most likely sources of honey. And if you're selling local honey to local people, there is something that won't sit right with customers about it being shipped from somewhere else. Keep doing the day job and build it slowly. If it was easy then somebody would have done it before.

No charge for the free advice.

Hi,

Still here - I decided it was probably a bit petulant to storm out. Apologies for that.
Admin - Point taken. I did intend to be an active member of the forum but have a young family and not much spare time ;-)
I was introduced to the forum by one of my suppliers who recommended I post a request for honey. I didn't think that posting a request for honey on a "Bees and Honey For Sale/Wanted" page would provoke so much distrust. Lesson learned.

Chris - Many thanks for the valuable advice.
We don't intend for the website to sound preachy - I guess the simple message we are trying to give to the public is "why buy something like New Zealand honey when you can buy British". We have no problem with buying from beekeepers with larger operations, indeed we have quite a few beekeepers with over 300 hives.
We have many different types of beekeeper supplying us, ranging from a 15 yr old to over 70 yrs.
The price of honey varies from region to region and we have only once had someone ask for £5 a lb and that was for a national honey show award winner.
We appreciate that many beekeepers already have their networks selling to farm shops, and if that's easier /better for them then we're not interested in trying to change that.
We also mention on the website that if customers already have a good local deli or farm shop where they buy their honey then we're not interested in changing that either.
We've had a really good response from beekeepers and customers alike and intend to do exactly what Chris suggests - slowly build up a small business. We're not trying to conquer the world ;-)

Any fursther advice or constrructive feedback appreciated

Hello

I have rape honey for sale in 30lb buckets. Are you still looking for honey?
Please call on 01767 225846 if you are interested.

Hi,
I'm from Bulgaria and i have 100 hives
If you interested i can sell you honey

Hi sandy, yes - definitely interested. I have sent you a message and will ring you next week.
Consultsoft - sorry, UK honey only.

Cheers
Andy

Latest posts

Back