Refractometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castanea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi
I was looking on fee bay for a refracometer, some say for sugar others are specifically for honey. Any advice ?
Thanks

You need one that will have a reading around 18% with a decent range.
Mine is 12 - 27% and was a cheapo from China, off eBay.

The main guide you are looking at is the water content in the honey, between10%-30%. Honey refractometer ATC. You will see 3 scales through the eyepiece temperature, brix and water. As Erica around 18% water content in the honey is acceptable.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, when it arrives, don't fiddle with it. Put some olive oil in a little bottle and take a reading of the oil on your refractometer. Note the reading on the bottle. That is then used as a known calibration value if for any reason you doubt the reading it is giving you in the future.
I only tell you this because I....fiddled, luckily a fine member of this forum came to the rescue and sent me some oil with a known reading. Learn by my mistakes every day.
E

I bought one of the cheapo ones recently and it suggested calibration with distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. It's calibrated on a different scale first. It's about 78% on the Brix scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Thanks just received email it's been posted sadly they couldn't do next day delivery from China:rules:

Hi
Thanks just received email it's been posted sadly they couldn't do next day delivery from China:rules:

so you might get it by harvest time, 2017, !! :laughing-smiley-014

everything I've ordered from china on flea bay takes usually at least 5 weeks!!

I bought a cheapo from China which was useless. I learnt my lesson and paid more for a decent British based one.
Cazza

I bought a cheapo from China which was useless. I learnt my lesson and paid more for a decent British based one.
Cazza

well, you are definitely in the minority - nothing but good feedback from people on here over the years and a big difference in price for something which is a luxury rather than a necessity.

Hmm got one of these cheap ones off Fleabay. Appears to only have the Brix scale of 0-30%. The instructions said to calibrate using distilled water to 0%. All well and good but honey obviously goes off the scale!

Am I missing something obvious or do I need a liquid with a known amount of sugar (70%) and calibrate the refractometer to 0?

Eyes and shake test have worked fine until now, knew I should have stuck to them! :facts::biggrinjester:

I just tried to calibrate mine with distilled water and I can't zero it to the recommended line. It runs out of adjustment.

If you search calibrate refractometer there are already a few threads. The general consensus was that most of them come ready calibrated. Sorry I know that doesn't help you if your instructions say to do it.

Latest posts

Back