Red Kites north of Okehampton

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
With the very late arrival of the housemartins we now have a pair of Red Kites circling over the valley and perching in a tree 100mts from the kitchen window.

Normally we "blessed" with a lot of buzzards (as an ex chicken keeper I have mixed views) but it's great to see the kites in the air.

This is a very odd year re. the bird population down here.

Tim :)

We have red Kites nesting in a tree at the bottom of the garden.
The view is partially obstructed (must get hubby up there before next nesting season...ha ha) but two chicks are visible.....Wonderful stuff!!!

Kites are almost at vermin level round here coes not help people feeding them.

Past couple of years we've had them in the winter quartering the allotments. No local breeding yet but they have been spreading along the line of the M40 so in a few years we might be seeing them all year round.

Kites are almost at vermin level round here coes not help people feeding them.

Thought they only ate carrion , so should not effect other birds or live animals except magpies or Jays, though i have seen many shot while walking up around goring and pangbourne on the Ridgeway

Thought they only ate carrion
We think they were hunting rats round our way, they were swooping on compost piles. Opportunist feeders, they have been reported to take buzzard young from the nest.

There has been two licences issued this year for the control of red kites. Both on shooting estates because of the effect they have on the game bird population. One in Northumberland and the other in Wales I think.

Saw lots of them on the way to Loughborough from Norwich a couple of weeks ago and then one evening we were watching the crows "buzzing" some.