Reacting to the bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been proactive in that i have been takeing cetirizine dihyrochoride, 1 a day non-drowsy it cost me 4.99 from the chemist but managed to get it on the internet for 0.99,but still reacting badly to being stung.

Buzz

I have been proactive in that i have been takeing cetirizine dihyrochoride, 1 a day non-drowsy it cost me 4.99 from the chemist but managed to get it on the internet for 0.99,but still reacting badly to being stung.

Buzz

Go to your GP hornett and you'll get it on prescription for zilch

I can't help but wonder why people are getting stung so much. I think I got a maximum of about 5 stings last year - all on my hands. Bee suit, gloves, wellies - keep them on until you are well away from the bees, get someone to check you over before you take it off.
I can understand that people with loads of hives will get proportionately more stings, but surely people with a couple of hives shouldn't be getting so many stings on the face, neck etc?

"you'll get it on prescription for zilch"

our welsh colleagues may not have prescription charges BUT please think of the poor NHS.

i'm not sure what a GP consultation costs or the cost to NHS of processing prescriptions BUT surely it is better to fork out the occasional 99p yourself rather than have to go to the effort of getting a prescription.

I was wondering the same thing, I wear full gear every time and get very few stings, so makes me think that some other beekeepers must do things different !!!

Brian

Last edited:
piriton is a drug called chlorphenamine. It is much less expensive unbranded. Like tony says it is always best to pop one before a trip to the apiary as the histamine release when you are stung is massive, so after the fact it will help but not as much as it would if it was already in your system for that initial histamine release.
I have a problem with dithering around and getting sidetracked before I go down to my bees. I always misjudge the amount of things I need to do before I go down there and then the phone rings...... remember piriton only lasts 4 hours and takes 10-15 minutes to get into your system.
The other antihistamines are longer acting but are not as good with something as extreme as a beesting (apparently) so it is beat to take piriton as well as your regular antihistamine. This advice was given to me by a Beekeeper who is a GP.

"you'll get it on prescription for zilch"

our welsh colleagues may not have prescription charges BUT please think of the poor NHS.

i'm not sure what a GP consultation costs or the cost to NHS of processing prescriptions BUT surely it is better to fork out the occasional 99p yourself rather than have to go to the effort of getting a prescription.

I suppose it depends how badly you are reacting and how often you need to take the antihistamines. For example, I also suffer from hayfever so I have loratadine on repeat prescription - I saw the doctor once about 5 years ago for 5 mins and now just pick up my repeat prescription from the dispensary when I need it. The surgery makes money from dispensing the antihistamines to me. Not exactly a big drain on the doctors time.

I get virtually zero stings from my own hives but our Association apiary has a couple of hives that contain bees that will sting on an off day. On Saturday I collected two full stings on the back of my left hand and another more experienced beek collected about 5 stings: all in two minutes..

It's all in the bees I reckon..

My hand no longer looks like a balloon: my soft tissue reacts badly to stings...going to try benadryl and hydrocortisone as suggested by someone as piriton etc do not work for me.

"the surgery makes money from dispensing"

where do you think that money comes from? NHS budget.

where would we be if everyone who needed a sub £1 OTC medication asked for it free on prescription?

could i have half a paracetamol please doc?

"the surgery makes money from dispensing"

where do you think that money comes from? NHS budget.

where would we be if everyone who needed a sub £1 OTC medication asked for it free on prescription?

could i have half a paracetamol please doc?

So, that's where it's up to the doctors' discretion as to whether they think a prescription is necessary - just as they would do with any other consultation.
The question as to whether it is wise for the Welsh Assembly Government to spend it's NHS budget on free prescriptions is a totally different matter - I'm sure many of us in Wales would rather have a few more DGHs. But, while prescriptions are free, someone with a legitimate health problem has a right to them.

I was stung above the right eye two weeks ago at the Lincolnshire bee auction. Not much pain but 24hrs later my eye was closed and the side of my face was swollen. Great amusment for the office but after 5 days I looked human.

Latest posts

Back