RE-Queening timing question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazsheehan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there - we are relatively new to beekeeping - this being g our second year. Of two colonies purchased last year, only one survived the winter. It produced 2 supers last year nut the bees never got so far as to raise comb on the super this year. We also bought a replacement nuc from another beekeeper and they did not manage a super this year either!! I suspect we need to re-queen both colonies. the question is do we purchase new queens now or wait until next year. Advice please!

You'll struggle to get new queens this time of year (assuming UK). However, without knowing a lot more about how you're keeping them I wouldn't rush to replace the queens. In my experience (of myself) and observations, it is more often the beekeeper that is the problem than the queen(s).

Whereabouts are you?
What varroa treatment do/did you use?
How many frames was the nuc on and what time of year did you get it?
Have you fed them at all? If so what and when?
How many frames of bees were there in each brood box?

You'll struggle to get new queens this time of year (assuming UK). However, without knowing a lot more about how you're keeping them I wouldn't rush to replace the queens. In my experience (of myself) and observations, it is more often the beekeeper that is the problem than the queen(s).

Whereabouts are you?
What varroa treatment do/did you use?
How many frames was the nuc on and what time of year did you get it?
Have you fed them at all? If so what and when?
How many frames of bees were there in each brood box?
I know @mbc was recently advertising late queen's.
Interesting some of my spring nucs only made it to double brood.
One only single brood and two supers.
I've put this down to location and forage because sister queen's in a different apiary produced more honey.
Next season to the op perhaps try some different manipulations ( demaree) for example.
Sometimes colonys need a helping hand to expand, only perform the above if there is a good constant honey flow.
Good luck for next season and let us know how you get on.
@Bazsheehan

Latest posts

Back