Re-combining after a split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
It seems a lot of people do this, but I’m confused as to why/if it works…

If you find swarm cells and make a split, can you simply re-combine the colonies a few weeks down the line? Won’t this just create the exact same conditions that instigated swarm preps in the first place?

It seems a lot of people do this, but I’m confused as to why/if it works…

If you find swarm cells and make a split, can you simply re-combine the colonies a few weeks down the line? Won’t this just create the exact same conditions that instigated swarm preps in the first place?
I wait to recombine until after the longest day.

No, they have got swarm mode out of their thinking, so just remove the poorer /older of the two queens and as long as you give them plenty of work to do, just newspaper join back together- queen right underneath..... those of us who don't rejoin end up with too many hives..
BUT always keep at least 2 colonies..(heir and spare)

They will settle back to their own individual colony size which depends on how fast the queen is laying.
They may well occupy the centre of both boxes

So if you just want a single bb colony you would shake all the bees down into the bottom box? How long after installing the newspaper should this be done?

So if you just want a single bb colony you would shake all the bees down into the bottom box? How long after installing the newspaper should this be done?
Ok, let's presume you have a BB and super on each. For the combine you would have, from the bottom up, floor, BB, QE, super, QE , paper, brood box, QE, super, crown board, roof. After they have combined you can either put the two brood boxes together as the queen will be in one them, or sort them so that you take out any brood less frames, in which case you need to know the queen is in the BB. Then put on the QE then both supers on top. Easy!
This post has been amended as I left the second BB out!

Last edited:
If I don't nuc the queen, I always do a vertical split using the JBM board (@jenkinsbrynmair you should patent this) with a fine mesh over the Qx. No need for extra floor and roof and easier to recombine as the bees are used to the scents.

Do you mean as a reactive measure after finding queen cells?

How exactly Jeff?
Now then. This is a method which has been used by some breeders in Europe for decades and Wally Shaw has been testing over the last few years.

When Swarm preps are made (ie: charged queen cells seen), I separate the brood + queen from flyers. My set-up looks like this: new BB on the bottom with 1 frame of BIAS, Qx, 2 super, demaree board with fine mesh over Qx, original brood box with all brood and queen. I tend to put the entrance of the demaree board facing the same direction as the bottom box. I have previously placed it the opposite way but was a pain when inspecting.

Within a few days all Qcs will have been teared down as all the flyers have left and returned to the bottom. The queen carries on laying as normal. In the bottom box flyers will make EQcs from the frame of BIAS. After 10 days I can either remove this frame and place the queen back down the bottom between 2 frames (the top will make a new queen or you can remove the fine mesh and run it as a demaree) or give them another frame of BIAS and repeat the process for another 10 days. After this the swarming fever will have passed and I will remove the demaree board and unite over the super with air freshener. I wait another 5-6 days and reconfigure the hive with 2BB or just a single 1.

I hope it makes sense.

@Do224 I hope it answers your question, yes as a reactive measure

Now then. This is a method which has been used by some breeders in Europe for decades and Wally Shaw has been testing over the last few years.

When Swarm preps are made (ie: charged queen cells seen), I separate the brood + queen from flyers. My set-up looks like this: new BB on the bottom with 1 frame of BIAS, Qx, 2 super, demaree board with fine mesh over Qx, original brood box with all brood and queen. I tend to put the entrance of the demaree board facing the same direction as the bottom box. I have previously placed it the opposite way but was a pain when inspecting.

Within a few days all Qcs will have been teared down as all the flyers have left and returned to the bottom. The queen carries on laying as normal. In the bottom box flyers will make EQcs from the frame of BIAS. After 10 days I can either remove this frame and place the queen back down the bottom between 2 frames (the top will make a new queen or you can remove the fine mesh and run it as a demaree) or give them another frame of BIAS and repeat the process for another 10 days. After this the swarming fever will have passed and I will remove the demaree board and unite over the super with air freshener. I wait another 5-6 days and reconfigure the hive with 2BB or just a single 1.

I hope it makes sense.

@Do224 I hope it answers your question, yes as a reactive measure

very well explained, thanks 👍. I’ll not be trying it any time soon but will keep it in mind for when I’ve got a bit more experience under my belt…

What if the bees need doubles?

I guess that’s exactly what I’m getting at…if they’ve made queen cells they probably want more space. That’s why I wasn’t sure if recombining would work

Thank you Enrico, for your clear explanation of how to unite two hives when both have supers. I had been mulling over that one for ages !

Latest posts

Back