Rape Nectar Mixed With Other Nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
My bees have various forage made up of , Willow/Gorse/Wild Cherry/Sycamore/Blackthorn and soon to be Hawthorn and various exotic flowers, however the little gits have decided to fly around 400 yards away to a small pathetic field of Oil Seed Rape going by the perfect yellow dot between there eyes on there for head.
Two questions for the friendly folk on here.

1. Will a small amount of rape nectar cause the rest to granulate if mixed together.

And

2. Could any of the above forage i have found and mentioned above produce this yellow dot.
Many Thanks
Steve.

rape will seed any other nectar. I have said numerous times bees will travel along way to find rape. your honey will set extract soon as ripe. yellow dot is rape

rape will seed any other nectar. I have said numerous times bees will travel along way to find rape. your honey will set extract soon as ripe. yellow dot is rape
Thank you for the quick reply ;) at the moment i will just let them get on with it as i am not able to extract anything, i will just throw away whatever has granulated which is a bit depressing with the available forage they have and all the hard work they have put into it.

Don't ditch it, give it to someone who can extract it at the very least! Swap your frames full of honey for new ones.
E

Don't ditch it, give it to someone who can extract it at the very least! Swap your frames full of honey for new ones.
E
The last time i looked which was on the 5th they had around 7 frames of uncapped honey so god knows what is in there now , i am also alone on this venture so i do not know anyone who can extract it.
Thanks
Steve.

Any chance you can get hold of a melter? Rent, borrow, buy? Some suppliers will melt it out for you for a fee. Have to take it to them though.

Around here rape is in flower for about a month. I only do the one extraction, as the last flowers fade. Very little will have granulated in that time, so it is important to get the honey off quick but it is not that urgent.
Soon sets in the bucket once it starts to cool though

Thank you for the quick reply ;) at the moment i will just let them get on with it as i am not able to extract anything, i will just throw away whatever has granulated which is a bit depressing with the available forage they have and all the hard work they have put into it.

I got caught with some granulated OSR łast year, put on over winter and the super was as clean as anything - don't throw it away far too valuable (plus you will waste your wax)

"Throw away" crazy!!!!!!!!
Back in the day, before the manuka honey revolution, some nz beekeepers would take boxes of manuka honey down to the river to wash out this unsaleable honey to free up the combs to collect "white" clover honey that they had a ready overseas market for. Washing the combs out would be one option, but is there not a communal extractor at your association?

Mine bring in some rape along with other nectar and I've never had a problem extracting it with our manual radial extractor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back