Rainwater

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Most of the literature and beekeepers state not to use tap water but rainwater to render wax, because the lime in tap water causes a bloom in the wax.

Others state it is the chlorine in water. "Chlorine gas dissolved in lime-water (dilute calcium hydroxide) to form calcium hypochlorite (chlorinated lime)." All tap water is chlorinated. Private water I assume does not need to be chlorinated, but presumably all private water would contain some lime?

Another explanation: "Secondary crystallization of unsaturated hydrocarbons from beeswax was determined as a primary cause. After the macroscopic solidification of beeswax from the melt, these molecules remain for months in a highly mobile, liquid-like state. This facilitates their diffusion to the surface, where they eventually crystallize, forming the 'wax bloom' effect."

Now, which is correct?

Does it matter. For general rendering of wax for exchange I’ve never used anything other than tap water it’s perfectly good enough, a quick scrape of the bottom to remove crud and your good to go. If you produce wax for showing it may be a different matter.

Beeswax saponifies in hard water - turns soapy - and Dave Cushman advises using water that has been acidified with lemon juice, lime juice or vinegar (one or two teaspoons per pint of water, but without explaining why.

Ian may live in a soft water area (West Surrey is certainly soft) but hard London water is no good, so I use water produced by the dehumidifier that lowers moisture in supers of honey.

The waters as hard as you like I’m rather close to you. In a steam extractor it will make no odds. I think the clues in steam. Bee suppliers won’t care if it has a bloom or worry about the colour. Like I said for general use it’s fine.

always use tap, water to wash and render my wax for show, managed to get me a few NHS blue ribands and the Royal Welsh silver rosebowl for best wax in show a few times.
But then again all the water around here comes from deep underground springs and rivers - not recycled from the municipal sewage works.

Our local water is so hard the electric element in my wax steamer gets coated with the lime and as the layer gets thicker the element eventually overheats and cut outs. Once suitably descaled it works again. Since using rainwater this hasn't happened.

when my grandparents finally had electricity installed in the early 60's (they'd had mains water piped in a few years previous to that) they treated themselves to the luxury of an electric kettle. It sprung a leak around year 2000 and there wasn't a speck of limescale in it.

Many thanks for your comments folks. I shall endeavour to make some candles in due course thereof my interest. My kingdom for some rain the earth is like dust in the garden going to get a large water bill.

Back