Qx or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can but not sure your customers will appreciate the extra protein of the bee larvae

Put a full or nearly full super between brood and sections and you'll "probably " be fine.
It'll save you from extra protein in the form of pollenin your sections too.

Put a full or nearly full super between brood and sections and you'll "probably " be fine..

That is mad idea. Put allways full super topmost and empty super above brood. That prevents swarming.

And protein in honey without excluder . As mad idea.

You really can do things difficult out there.

My thoughts are that the queen wouldn't want to lay in the sections anyway, and it would get the bees up into it to draw out the foundations sections. When you do Heather honey you don't put the qx in. The brood box is 14x12 so like a brood and a half!

What, your bees don't store pollen in the super nearest to the brood?

When you're on Heather the brood nest is shrinking and not likely to be extended upward.
A few days after the solstice I wouldn't be so sure.

When you do Heather honey you don't put the qx in. The brood box is 14x12 so like a brood and a half!

Oh yes you do....Particularly with the large colonies I take to the heather...If you miss out the QX you end up with a plume of brood through all 5 supers. As I have found to my cost the few times I've been persuaded that it is the thing to do.
You might get away with it with small colonies and less fecund queens...

I certainly use an excluder on the heather and seen the problems when they are damaged so guess where my vote is.

If you want to try sections then either go for a three section carrier or round ones. Round ones are filled by the bees far faster than square ones and I am not so sure that many colonies these days would be happy being compressed to the point where square sections are worked well. I suspect those days are long gone.

PH

There in three section carrier's, a super full of them with fresh foundation but after a fortnight hardly any bees have gone into them never mind draw the comb out!

Latest posts

Back