Quiet hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have one hive which is busy bringing in pollen and looks fine. The other is very quiet, just one or two coming and going. I looked at both (through perspex) late last week and they both seemed to be on around 3-4 good seams and shortly after I took off the roof they swelled to the top of the frames. All good. So why is one hive so quiet? Opening the crown board is not a good idea, 10 degrees and frosty nights but I'm worried they're queenless. No blockages at the entrances as I checked. My instinct is to leave them be but for how long before its prudent to take action despite the chill in the air? Thanks in advance guys.

How are they sited? Do they get equal sun?
Some of ours are slightly shaded by shrubs and are not as active as the others.
What action could you take if they are Q/less?

Maybe they're sensibly self isolating?
Different colonies behave differently. I have had hives side by side, one abuzz with industry the other with hardly a bee, at first inspection, no difference in their progress.
No point in worrying as there is very little you can do at this time of the year, just check the stores situation and wait for a decent few days for a quick inspection.

The difference of one or two degrees makes all the difference. Some fly at 10 degrees and some at 12 degrees. Definitely don't open them. You can't do anything if they are queen less anyway!
E

How are they sited? Do they get equal sun?
Some of ours are slightly shaded by shrubs and are not as active as the others.
What action could you take if they are Q/less?

Yeah they do, in fact the quiet one gets fractionally more. A frame of eggs from the busy hive was mt thought. I'm very against this though. I'm just a bit vexed and anxious at my inaction. Although I know that's sometimes the best policy with bees.

Thanks JBM. I know deep down that's what to do, perhaps just need to hear another experienced beek say it. Cheers

Cheers Enrico, as per my reply to JBM. You're both right I feel. Sit tight is what I'll do.

My instinct is to leave them be but for how long before its prudent to take action despite the chill in the air? Thanks in advance guys.

I have one hive in my garden that isn't flying. It's in the middle of a long row of hives all facing the same direction.
Perspex crown boards shows about 8 seams of living bees and entrance is clear.
Not too worried, they may have flown earlier in the day or not as the case may be.
Uuup north we are heading for an uncharted 15C on Wednesday of this week...I think some very quick inspections will be in order.

Just to echo what everyone else is saying.
Ours at home and in school are the same.
The quietest one in school had the most stores, so I'd imagine that they just don't need to get shifted yet unless it's warm and there's forage worth shifting for!
It's early doors and it's not been warm here.

Latest posts

Back