quick trip

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennycreed

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8?
According to NASA, just by being on the planet Earth in the last year, you’ve zipped about 584 million miles around the sun to get back where you were. At an average speed of about 67,000 miles per hour.
And the Earth rotated 365 and a quarter times during its sweep around the sun. The trip took 8,766 hours. Or 31,557,600 seconds. Or 525,960 minutes just like this one. Peww! no wonder i'm nackered, But! Hey! everyone, LET'S DO IT AGAIN

20 times faster than a speeding bullet! I use that particular calculation to example estimating and cancelling, both sadly widely unused (often apparently unheard of!) techniques for the average GCSE student to check or find answers to questions.

Regards, RAB

oliver90owner;101757 said:
20 times faster than a speeding bullet!
Well, actually it is slightly slower than that of a speeding bullet, or maybe slightly faster, depending upon whether the bullet is being shot in the same or the opposite direction that it is already traveling at 67,000 miles per hour. :D

Harvezone,

Thanks for pointing that out, but please be aware I always make my force experinments perpendicular to any interfering forces:rolleyes:, for a 'fair test', so the same with the vector velocity of a speeding bullet - it would not be affected in the direction of the solar movement of the Earth. So that would firing in a strictly northerly or southerly direction and measuring horizontal velocity of the path of the bullet (which will be a curve anyway)? Velocity will compared with a stationary bullet (zero velocity) - if that is really possible! There again, the difference may well be within the experimental error for a simple lab experiment!

But there again a straight line is only the circumference (or part of) of a circle of certain indeterminate diameter, n'est pas?

everything is so very much more complex the more detail one delves into. Happy new year, and keep it up - shows you are thinking!

Regards, RAB

I was going to introduce the speed of the sun's rotation around the galaxy, and then the galaxy around, well, whatever it goes around, but I couldn't quite get my brain around that and certainly don't know the numbers :)

Latest posts

Back